London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
27/02/2011 at 17:50
i planted garlic bulds september last. they are about 4inches high now. some have about 4 green stems, should i seperate these and replant. also i had a plant that went 2 seed, i scattered the seeds and a year later i see small plants growing. is this normal.
28/02/2011 at 10:32
If you leave a bulb of garlic in the ground by accident it will start to shoot, so you'll get a cluster of new bulbs trying to grow in a space far too tiny. If you plant the entire bulb (as I suspect you did?) then the same will happen. The individual cloves need to be separated off from the bulb and planted separately. Growing in a clump as your as they will not do well, so although it is late to separate autumn garlic now, I'd have a go, then replant each clove about 5in apart...and perhaps buy yourself some spring planting garlic now, separate this in to cloves and plant asap, as I suspect the autumn re-planted won't do as well as it could have.
08/04/2011 at 15:37
Thanks for the info about growing garlic. You find out in the link bellow some of the great ways to use garlic as a home remedie: http://thegarlicgarlic.blogspot.com/p/how-can-you-use-garlic-as-home-remedies.html
28/11/2011 at 18:41
to day i piked all my garlic i got twenty five bunches of garlic thats not bad for the first time i have growen it it took me two years to grow it it needs the frost to grow i think i done well the full amount that i put in was thirty cloves
30/06/2014 at 09:35

My garlic now fully harvested has been drying away in a cooler area of the green house (the only space I had that wouldn't get rained on where I could spread them out fully).

What is best to do with them once they're dry to keep them at their best for longest? Are there any ways people recommend so they last through the year? I don't know whether to cut them up and put in the freezer in ice cube size portions ready to throw into the pot as required, try to plait them now they're dried and keep them in a cool dark cupboard, or....

Help!

30/06/2014 at 10:38
There is absolutely no need to put garlic in the freezer. I was a bit surprised to read that, as I'd never heard of anybody putting it in the freezer before. I keep mine in a cool place, but not necessarily a dark one.

Depending on the variety it might be possible to keep it until you start using 'green garlic' next year.
30/06/2014 at 10:42

thought I'd posted - must've forgotten to hit submit 

Ours are drying off in the mini-greenhouse, then they'll be bundled up and hung in the garage - frost free and dry. 

30/06/2014 at 21:16

Thanks both. I don't think I'll be allowed to have them on display so will find them a little cardboard box to sit in the cupboard (can't have them loose you know full well they'll tumble out at a moments chance).

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages