London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 28 messages
28/07/2010 at 09:30
Doesn't the smell just make you want to get cooking when you harvest garlic, Pippa? Same with onions and shallots. I have a slatted table so will do the same with mine. Thanks for the tip - I hadn't thought of that. No sign of rust here either and I believe it can be a scourge in some Bristol allotments.
28/07/2010 at 12:35
I've already harvested my Solent Wight garlic because unfortunately they didn't escape rust. However, despite being harvested early(I planted mine in modules in a coldframe in January) the bulbs are huge, much bigger than previous years and are now hanging from the roof of my shed to dry. I usually transplant my winter leeks into the bed vacated by the garlic, but are they likely to get rust too? If so, is there anything organic I can do to prevent this?
28/07/2010 at 16:33
For the past two years I have had super garlic. this year - hopeless. Tiny bulbs that don't look much bigger than the cloves I originally planted. Any ideas anyone?
28/07/2010 at 17:04
Similar problem to tinytuba tiny bulbs reddish look like very very very small onions
29/07/2010 at 18:59
Some of my garlics have produced extra little bulbs on the stems. I'm going to plant them to see what happens. Any suggestions? I harvested my soft necks a month ago and they're huge. My hardnecks came up last week, not so big but very respectable. I'm impressed with how well they came through the winter. Despite snow and frozen ground, I didn't lose one and not a sign of rust. And they taste wonderful!
29/07/2010 at 21:36
The link below gives a good explanation of what to do and what you can expect. I scatered the bulbils around the garden last Autumn with the intention of scaring off unwanted pests, but unfortunately this year I've pulled or hoed them out thinking they were pieces of weed/grass! Next time I'll plant them in a designated area! http://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-bulbils.htm
30/07/2010 at 10:04
should I harvest my solent whites before they flower or doesn't that matter ? The tops are still green.
30/07/2010 at 16:14
Still no real reply as to why my garlic bulbs came uo very small and red please help!
30/07/2010 at 22:18
billbo did you let the frost get them i was told if they dont get frosted they stay a clove but if they get frosted in the ground they become a bunch of cloves so plant them at the start of winter and pick them in july you will find that shuld work ok joey
30/07/2010 at 22:21
billbo did you let the frost get them i was told if they dont get frosted they stay a clove but if they get frosted in the ground they become a bunch of cloves so plant them at the start of winter and pick them in july you will find that shuld work ok joey i no i have allready menchend this but try it it worked for me
01/08/2010 at 15:11
Hi this is the first time i have grown garlic, i cant remember when i planted them this year exactly but the stalks are brown and fallen does this mean they are ready to pull up or should i leave them for a little longer?
02/08/2010 at 13:55
i was told if they dont get frosted they stay a clove but if they get frosted in the ground they become a bunch of cloves so plant them at the start of winter and pick them in july > This is true - garlic will just go to flowers & seed if it's planted in late spring !
08/08/2010 at 11:10
Can anyone help with growing onions please. I buy sets - I grow organically in soil enriched with my own compost. I plant in raised beds which are slightly sloping but not shaded at all with the sun most of the day. I water when needed. However my onions rarely grow much bigger than the sets I buy!!!!!!!! Help!!!!!!!
08/08/2010 at 11:11
Forgot to add - I always buy the sets from a well-known organic supplier! I plant approx 3" deep!
14/08/2010 at 09:59
I had similar problem with my garlic as tinytunia. I planted in modules in Nov. and overwintered in mini greenhouse where temp went below freezing. Could the dry conditions this year affect their growth? Is it worth replanting them now?
14/08/2010 at 11:08
I planted 5 garlic corms. Four formed The fifth was a group of what appeared to be corms so I have just planted those to see what happens.
14/08/2010 at 11:23
After a year in present house, a well-established leylandii - trimmed last autumn and this spring - has dead patches. If these are cut out will the live branches fill the gap? No rain can reach the trunks and the roots reach the lawn. Would a water supply to the trunks improve the growth?
16/08/2010 at 21:26
..and my sister has just told me that she saw little boxes of golf-ball sized one-clove garlic (from China!!!) for sale in a supermarket, I'd love to know if it was a particuar variety!
12/09/2010 at 16:00
I have just made a load of dilly beans using Alys Fowler's recipe. Great, but what happens next? How best to prepare them, cook them to eat in a few weeks' time?
28/09/2010 at 19:46
Just about to look for garlic to plant this autumn, any suggestions of which ones to plant. they will be in a tub outside.
1 to 20 of 28 messages