Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Hedge bindweed

The leaves on my garden hedge (Privit) are falling of, due to the freezing weather, I suspect.
At one side of my garden gate is a reasonably new hedge of two years and the other side is a well established mature hedge. Can you tell me if my hedge will survive and grow again this spring, not all the leaves have gone but I can now see through people passing by through it. Please advise.

• when it rains my hedge always has a sicky smell to it , i.m new to the gardening world could someone give me some advice how to clear this smell .
  • This year for some strange reason both my maturish 7 ft bay tree and 3 year old 2 ft myrtle bush have suddenly died all the plants around them ( roses, assorted bedding plants, runner beans and onions ) have not only survived but are flourishing,,, any explanations ???

alec
  • budah100budah100 Posts: 1
    I large established hedge,which now has ivy growing through it. I think this is killing the hedge in places, but am worried that i will cause more damage to the hedge whilst treating the ivy. what can I do to get rid of the Ivy and revive my hedge.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Hi budah - the ivy won't be killing the hedge as such, but it will take over and block light etc so if you want rid of it, the best way is to find it's source and cut back to the ground. When new growth appears , treat it with weedkiller. You may need to bruise/crush the leaves to allow it to take it up as they're very waxy. Many people find SBK Brushwood killer more effective for the job as it's better for woodier material. If you're worried about getting it onto the hedge, you can isolate the treated growth inside a polythene bag. It might be tricky so take your time. 

Once you've got rid of the ivy, you can give your hedge a feed and a mulch to give it a boost. image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...