Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: Hedgehogs in the garden

Oh, i do wish they did not feel the urge to cross the road. We have lost so many to cars in Bristol. Timely reminder, Kate, to check bonfires before lighting them on Nov. 5th.

• I totally agree Kate, at this time of year it's vital to check bonfires before lighting. Also, empty the compost heap out now or leave it, as you say, until spring. There's no point leaving turfing out the heap as a winter job when you might uncover hibernating hogs, and other creatures, which will likely die because of the disturbance.

Thanks for highlighing their plight! Alas, I have none to save, but those who do should take note!
  • I used to see hedgehogs quite often in our garden but haven't spotted one this year. I have seen what I'm sure is hedgehog 'poo' though & I think they may be eating the suet nibbles & dried mealworms I put out for the birds.I have a hedgehog house, piles of logs, a small pond & lots of slugs & snails for them as well so they're welcome to stay!
  • Thank you Kate. We are desperately trying to save as many as we can and the state some of them arrive in is pitiful. Much of it is down to human activity which is completely at odds with what our wildlife needs.

Anyone who is interested in these animals can find a vast amount of information about them if they care to do a search but the best thing they can do right now is put out cat biscuits and water to help the hogs fatten up for hibernation.
  • We currently have at least 5 hedgehogs in our garden which we are feeding everynight. They come to the dishes we put out by our patio doors so we can see them. We have also put up a camera to record their activity throughout the night. They are so cute and adorable.
  • very usefull info.. found a little friend in the garden just this week. .. dog was a little confused though!
  • We are very lucky to still get hedgehogs in the garden but I have to be very careful to ensure they are not about before I let our dog out as he is fascinated by them unfortunately!

To encourage them I have banked up soil in front of our hawthorn hedge and then piled logs up at the end, I throw leaves and twigs into the area behind the soil and under the hedge which gives a nice safe area for hedgehogs and other wildlife to overwinter without being disturbed.

http://higgysgardenproject.blogspot.com/

Higgy
  • only this week,i looked out into my garden and saw 2 lovely FAT hedgehogs,i really love hedgehogs and would so love to resue them....i have a hedgehog house but i dont think my ones use it...ive cut a hole in my back fence and i think they come from the woods[which i back onto],i put food out for them but im not sure if they eat it or its the fox,local cat,rats or mice i like to think its spike....

sueA..how can you tell if its hedgehog poo?

kate,im gonna look into becoming a hedgehog champion.[thanks for that].
  • Our gardens have always definately fitted into the description of scruffier. We used to see hedgehogs when we lived in a town but now we live in the countryside we don't seem to see them at all. Is this typical?

They have plenty of cover and hedgerows, frogs, toads, snails, slugs.... however next door have a lot of cats do you think they get them?

Sue
  • hi kate,went onto the site for hedgehogs,they have no forms left,they have had loads of responce apparently.
  • we have just moved to norfolk and have a large meadow with hedge rows around boundries we have teamed up with local rescue centre and release there hegdehogs back into the wild we have shelters and regular food and water, we really enjoy helping these lovely little fellows