London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
11 messages
05/02/2009 at 17:35
"We never see butterflies in the garden" says my mother, then when cleaning out the log store over Xmas she finds two hibernating peacock butterflies. So they were there, we replaced them as best we could, the covered log pile seems to desirable realestate for invertebrates so we will try to create one exclusively for them.
01/10/2009 at 23:34
We have an apparently large wasps nest within a ventilator grille in the outside wall of our bungalow, very near to fruited pear trees. My husband and I are arguing as to whether we get rid of them. I don't want to as they are useful garden predators, but he is afraid they could be causing damage to the under-floorboard area where they seem to be living. They are zooming in and out of the ventilator grille hundreds of times a day. I was stung by one of them on the foot recently whilst cutting back a shrub, with my back to the nest. Obviously in the flight path of one irritated wasp! Any suggestions?
16/05/2010 at 11:27
kill them, the only good wasp is a dead one.
01/12/2010 at 16:28
Do NOT kill hibernating queen wasps - they will provide the population next year which will control a large number of garden pests. The real enemy of wasps is human ignorance and the more you find out about these wonderful insects, the less likely you are to be interested in killing them.
31/01/2011 at 15:40
Found a wasp in garden yesterday and i think it is a queen. Took pity on it and brought it in as thought i was dying and is now living in my back bedroom, it's wings are intact and buzzing but it cannot fly should i leave it there or put it outside again as i think i might have interupted its hibernative stage ?
07/02/2011 at 09:25
Reply to Anonymous You could try letting it go into a shed or unheated outbuilding. It may then have a chance to settle back down again. Really, queen wasps should not be up and about until April.
15/09/2011 at 15:58
i have 4 hibernating wasps in my bedroom now as we had a wasp nest under the house this year. i have already removed one but take pity on the other 4. should i leave them until aprill when i see them flying round my bedroom and let them out the window or just throw them out now?
20/09/2011 at 07:21
Reply to Stephen. It depends on what you want for them. If they are already hibernating, then throwing them out now will upset their metabolism and they will be unable to get back into the right state of torpor. But if you leave them where they are your central heating may rouse then unseasonably early in a month or two. You might try collecting them up and quickly releasing them into an unheated shed to settle down again.
28/11/2011 at 18:37
how to prevent maggots in plums
12/03/2012 at 00:06

I would say to leave them. If they are moved or disturbed then this will kill them. <a title="wasp nest removal guildford" href="http://www.waspnestssurrey.co.uk/" target="_blank">Wasp nest removal</a> at the wrong time is not ideal so just best to let them be

12/03/2012 at 12:00

As much as I don't like wasps, they have their uses.  I recently purchased a new shed and found wasps clinging to the side.  Broke my heart to disturbe them. If you can live with them, leave them. 

email image
11 messages