London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
15 messages
02/08/2013 at 16:32
If that's a horsefly what are the olive green one's that bite me in my local park and make my arm swell up.
02/08/2013 at 17:20

Seems to be a good year for Horsefly. I have been bitten and so has all my family this year. Sore when they do!

04/08/2013 at 12:47
Clegs have wonderful compound eyes. The way that they refract light gives a multitude of colours. But they are undoubtedly nasty biters. Allergic reactions to their bites is not uncommon. My other half has the same problem as oldchippy - a simple bite turns into quite a swelling.
08/08/2013 at 19:52
Horseflies have been really bad this year (West Somerset) they seem to have gone over now hopefully as I haven't seen one for about 2 weeks. It must have been the really hot weather that suited them. Are they actually worse where there are are a lot of animals, sheep, beef animals, horses. I am an animal / nature lover but I react badly to their bites, they are so quiet and so sly.... If I manage to see one alight on me it is DEAD!!!!.... sorry.
08/08/2013 at 20:00

A fireman in Devon actually died when he had an allergic reaction to a horsefly bite on his neck -  so I think slaughtering them is totally justifiable.

08/08/2013 at 21:34
Thanks for that Sara4 I rest my case....now.. how about wasps and lovers of????
08/08/2013 at 22:32

Horseflies and mozzies are the 2 things that get instant death here

08/08/2013 at 23:15

I hate wasps too.  I don't kill them though, mainly because I'm allergic to the b... things and so I tend not to be near enough.  I definitely murdered the two that have stung me in my lifetime, also the hornet that stung me in the middle of the very important telephone call I was making at work .... Apparently these things do have some use somewhere in a food chain, I just don't know what it is.

09/08/2013 at 07:02

Its instant hospital for me if I get stung by a wasp but they do actually play quite an important role in the garden in that they will eat a lot of the garden pests that damage our plants. As long as I know where they are and I steer well clear we have an uneasy truce! Mind you I did take exception to them 'eating' my shed door whilst they were foraging for wood for their nest.

09/08/2013 at 07:25
citonella ointment or eat more garlic!! works here in the country..
09/08/2013 at 07:26
sorry meant CITRONELLA ointment,before you go out into the garden.
09/08/2013 at 08:31

Wasps do have a aprt to play in our ecology: amongst other things they prey on Crane Flies (Daddy Longlegs) which emerge from the grub we know as 'leatherjackets' that live in our gardens (particularly lawns) and eat the roots of plants.

When our kids were little we used to like to sit in the garden to have tea on late summer sunny days but the wasps were a real nuisance at that time of year so we took to putting the table close to a Fennel that was in flower which solved the problem. The wasps would far rather have the nectar from fennel that our jam butties.

09/08/2013 at 10:47

Am I one of the few people who like wasps! I do appreciate that some people have a bad reaction to their sting but I'm fortunate that it's not a problem for me. I have actually started making a little feeding station for them which also keeps them away from places I might want to sit and eat. Their nests are really beautiful and I like watching them harvesting wood for them.

Only problem is - I've put it in the bit where I'm currently working on the shed base and fence! 

15/08/2013 at 22:27
Sara4

People die from allergic reactions to peanuts and other stuff as well. The auto-immune system can be cruel.
15/08/2013 at 22:40

Let's hear it for wasps! 

They devour aphids, flies and other creepy crawlies.

They are clean, handsome and methodical.

The worst thing you can do if a wasp comes near you is flap at it. All those compound eyes get worked up at seeing all those flapping things and they react accordingly.

I have a wasps' nest by the house and I watch it grow daily. Microscopic bits of trellis and garden table and deckchair have been scraped off and gone into its construction and the different colours of the different woods  that have been gathered to make it are a wonder to behold.

email image
15 messages