London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
1 to 20 of 46 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
How easy is that!
24/11/2011 at 15:27
Great feature, didn't realise how easy it should be. Kept putting it off but this weekend is looking good for building my raised beds.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
the raised beds are great, only wish I had the means to install atleast one made from scafolding planks, but need some one to install as I am not capable of doing it myself, but would be great.
My soon be to veg beds are small, (two, each about a metre square)with a garden path down one side, also we are rubbish at any kind of DIY. I've seen small slot together beds in garden centres. Has anyone tried these?
Hi

We bought a raised bed kit at Notcutts this weekend. They are on offer, £39.99 reduced to £19.99. Its 5' x 5'9".
You told us how to make a raised bed but didn't say anything about the soil to put into it. I got an allotment last autumn and cleared some ground and have planted some potatoes and onions. The ground is a mixture of clay and stone, and the whole patch is smothered in mares' tails, as well as lots of other weeds. There are more mares' tails than potatoes and onions in the patch. So: What should I do to fill it? And what can I do to stop the mares' tails growing through?
L.Rumble, if your nails keep coming out when you attach the other side I think they might be too small. I would advise using you use larger ones or even drill a hole with a cordless drill and screw them in place as screws shouldn't slip once in place. Hope this helps.
I've spent 2 1/2 hours of my precious day off trying to make a raised bed - every time I nail one side, the other side comes undone. Should I make the frame on a flat surface or in situ? I now have lots of nails sticking out at all angles, I'd be grateful for any advice!
Have been thinking about raised beds and this video has been very helpful - hope to be able to build myself at least one raised bed for my veggies.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
That's a step-by-step guide is it? No, it isn't.

Nothing about locating the bed, preparing the ground, what to fill it with.
what sort of wood/planks should i use i have no sound on my pc so can only watch the video new gardener here with big ideas any help woul dbe great
you go monty
A very informative article, I am hoping to make a raised vegetable bed myself, does it matter that I will build it on top of concrete slabs? I thought if I built it using 2 railway sleepers on top of each other the depth should be ok? I would appreciate any advice, thank you :)
Braddy183 - I wouldn't use railway sleepers, unless they are different from the ones here in Ireland. The Irish ones are treated with creasote. Plus there are serious H&S risks associated with railway sleepers and the way they are used by the railways. Scaffold planks are good but expensive. You can buy 16ft lengths of nine (inches high) by one and a half (inches thick) and they are good to use. If you buy five of them they will make two 16ft beds. Cost about 36 euros per bed.
Jangra - I'd use untreated timber. It will last for a long time anyway, and you can always replace it when it does rot. Treated timber is treated with chemicals and that's going against the very spirit of growing your own. That said, there are treatments which are certified as being okay, but I'd just go to my local builder's merchants or sawmill and get the cheapest timber I could, so long as it was high enough and thick enough and bring it home and make my own.
At 16ft. you will need a cross brace in the centre to stop them from going bow-shaped but this can be anything really - a piece of 4x2 from a building site is ideal. As for the nails coming out - you need nails at least three times the thickness of the timber. Screws are better but need to be really long. Using one and a half inch timber, you'd need screws 5mm x 125mm or so. Also drill (thinner) holes in the piece where the head of the screw will be. This will help pull the joint together.
I garden from a wheelchair. I've used 2x height link-a-boards (search Net) weed suppressant but free drainiing underlay I use a base layer of coir from dried compressed "bricks" & top up with B&Q multipurpose compost vermiculite. Goodl for salads, peas & french beans (dwarf varieites) and courgettes. I even grew sweet corn last year but was let down by the lack of sun! Veronica & verbena bonariensis attract lots of pollinators. Hope this helps.
Should we use un-treated timber?

I've heard that treated timber releases chemicals that could be harmfull to our health.

What do you think?

Thanks

Jan
Very good! I have very similar to this one. You may also be interesting to visit: http://www.keengardeners.co.uk
24/11/2011 at 15:30
scaffold planks can be bought from wood reclamation projects, such as bwrp.org (Bristol)
1 to 20 of 46 messages