Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to build a raised vegetable bed

If you haven't got a jigsaw you could fix 2"x2" to the inside corners leaving them long make a point on the end fix together with nails or screws then drive the pointed end in the ground to hold in place.

• What are the best fillers for my raised bed? Should I have different layers of materials ie Fertilizer, sand whatever as well as good compost.
  • I intend to build a raised vegetable bed and notice that many people have placed a black membrane at the base and coming up the sides. Is this a weed inhibitor or for water retention? I have good drainage almost too good London alluvialsoil and therefore wonder if I should put down polythene to conserve the rainfall? I look forward to hearing from you, thanks Sue Wallace
  • is it okay to use presssure treated wopod for a vege garden raised bed?
  • Hello Cynthia,

Pressure treated timber is ideal for raised beds, as it withstands rot better than timber that hasn't been treated. Have a look at our wooden planter project.

Good luck,

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• Eddie JEddie J Posts: 108

Please ignore Adams tip of attaching plastic secured with nails.

It simply traps moisture, raises the temperature between plastic and wood, and makes an ideal place for rot to develop. Even if it had worked, using nails breaches any benefit and breaks the barrier.

It is far better to either paint the inside of the boards with a  bitumastic paint, or in the case of raised veg beds, drag soil away from the boards during the winter period.

• deidredeidre Posts: 1

my soil is not good as iwant 2 raised bebs haveing it in bricks do i need a bottom in it or just soil as i hate weeds this is my first time doing this and ireally need help thank you dee leggett

• glassbackglassback Posts: 12
    i would like to build my beds 2 or even 3 feet high (BAD BACK )are there any problems that may accur.
  • Engineering problems mainly, glassback. Think of the weight of wet soil. So you are going to need a very strong structure.

• glassbackglassback Posts: 12

thanks joe i see where your coming from more vertical brases or thicker planks /. railway sleeper size?maybe new of course . ??

• Have managed over the winter to put raised beds on the whole of my allotment. I managed to get old scaffold boards from a friend. I now dont have to dig the whole of my plot certainly makes life easier and of course you can plant closer together.