Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to care for orchids

I've managed to keep my orchid alive for more than a year! I'm so very pleased.

All the flowers fell off but there are now two new branches(?) with buds on them. How exciting! New flowers just about to bloom. Yippee!

• Excellent video!
  • Good article to keep me going. Thank you.
  • To OscarM..the orchids that like to be in clear pots, are phalaenopsis (moth orchids). Most other common ones will be ok in an opaque pot instead of translucent. My favourite is a Vanda, but I can't afford it, and probably wouldn't last long in my house!
  • I have just received a lovely orchid for Mother's Day, and am a little scared of this delicate looking plant. Do you feed it baby bio at all.? I have had jasmine before and found using used tea bags on the top soil helped growth, I wonder would it do the same for the orchid. If any one has any ideas please let me know I would very much appreciate it. I am in competition with the my daughter's green fingered mother-in-law so I''m told who was given the same plant yesterday.
  • To OscarM.... My orchid is 18months old still flowering and it's in the original black metal pot that it came in...
  • Im fairly new to growing orchids, i have three all phalaenophis. Ones 3years and up to now flowered over and over again the other two about a year old and up to now been ok. But this last month all leaves have turned yellow and fall off when touched. There in my kitchen with plenty of light. Any ideas whats happened to them anyone??
  • Really helpful video. However I bought an orchid from Ikea last week but it is in a while plastic pot not a clear pot. Will it be OK?
  • I have a phalaenopsis orchid and it is roughly 2 years old. I made a big mistake and cut the stem down to the leaves of the plant. Can you tell me will it ever grow another stem and flower?
  • momacmomac Posts: 1
    I also have a phalaenopsis that is a year old. I too cut one stem right to the base as it appeared to have died. I left the other one on. I now have a strong new spike growing just above the one I cut off, about six inches tall at the moment; and I have two more stems forming on the old one. I also have a flower bud on the end of the old one, but there are also a lot of dead looking nodes between the top new stem and the end bud. Should I cut this stem above the new stem, or leave it alone?
  • now i know why my kept dying, thanks for the help