Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to choose slug-resistant plants - part two

alecatalecat Posts: 5
If I plant slug resistant plants around the plants that seem to attract the slimy little bs,,,, will it deter them from the immediate area ?

Alec

• No. Plants are slug resistant because slugs don't like the taste of them, not because they are scared to go near them

• If I plant slug resistant plants around the plants that seem to attract the slimy little bs,,,, will it deter them from the immediate area ?

Alec
  • In fact you could try the opposite - plant sacrificial slug caviare plants around the ones you want to keep. Might work!

• Thanks fleurisa, that will probably save me afew quid.

Landgirls suggestion is worth considering,,, has any body ever tried it.

• ElusiveElusive Posts: 992

Tried and tested in my garden

Astrantia

Rudbeckia

Japanese Anemone

Lavender

Astilbe

Never spotted any slug damage on these plants

• In my garden - perennial geraniums, sedum, salvias, perovskia, asters not touched.

• they seem to leave pulmonaria well alone and fully grown aquilegias - although they will have a munch at aquilegia seedlings. Don't seem interested in ajuga either.

• I sometimes collect slugs as night falls then chuck them into the pond for Koi supper. They love 'em - especially those long orange slimey ones.  But the best ever deterent is frogs and toads. When I first arrived at my place the garden was a wilderness, the pond choked with weeds and with frogs.  That year after dark I would often see 20 or more hopping around the lawn and not a slug anywhere. But we gardeners interfere, tidy things up, the habitat changes, frog numbers decline. The Slugs - 1 Gardeners - 0.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

If you aren't too ecologically minded, you can spot treat plants with Slug Clear. It keeps them off vulnerable plants. I know some won't like the suggestion, but it works and if not used extensively does in my opinion  work well.