London (change)
Today 10°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 23 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
can I grow an acer from the seeds ?
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I'm growing an acer from seed - it had started growing by itself near the parent plant, so I potted it up. It's about 3 years old now, and I carefully repotted it this year - lots of new growth since then. I'm really proud of it!
I have found that this works very well with hollyhocks, the seeds are large and easy to handle
can i take the seeds out of a pepper and grow them
02/02/2012 at 20:50
I have been given some hollyhock seeds could you advise me when to plant them?
Maria
Galway
Ireland
10/07/2012 at 11:35
hello my lupin has now pretty much gone to seed can anyone tell me when is the best time to propagate lupin seeds and how is this achieved and when to sow them.
thank you
John
10/07/2012 at 12:06

Johnny1 wrote (see)
hello my lupin has now pretty much gone to seed can anyone tell me when is the best time to propagate lupin seeds and how is this achieved and when to sow them.
thank you
John

Not yet -if the pods are at the grey fluffy stage-wait until they go brown and give them a shake- you can hear the seed rattling in the pods.

You can sow them immediately after harvesting if you wish- they will take a year or so to flower -make sure you protect the precious seedlings from the nasty slug .

If you wish to keep the seed store in a paper bag and sow early next year

10/07/2012 at 12:12

One useful piece of info, when the seeds of things which can wait to be sown in Spring, are dry and ready for storage, the tubes in which Steradent comes are really good. they are sterile and air tight.

10/07/2012 at 13:14

can i take the seeds out of a pepper and grow them

Yes, but the peppers they produce will depend on whether the parent fruit is a hybrid or pure variety. If a hybrid, you will end up with a version of the parent fruit. If a pure variety, provided it wasn't cross-pollinated, you will end up with the same fruit.

10/07/2012 at 18:05
mariarossi wrote (see)
I have been given some hollyhock seeds could you advise me when to plant them?
Maria
Galway
Ireland

Hi mariarossi - I would suggest that you sow the hollyhock seeds now and then overwinter the resulting seedlings in a coldframe, greenhouse or the like !! The plants can then be planted in the ground next spring.

I've never had much luck with hollyhocks from seed - largely because they get eaten by slugs/snails before they get established - even in the dry summers in Lincolnshire - a distant memory now !! 

Thanks to others for the helpful tips and information - it's always very interesting reading the posts on the forum 

21/08/2012 at 11:53

what do i do with pepper seeds i've taken out of the peppers & when do i plant them

21/08/2012 at 13:44

Dry them on some kitchen roll-then store for sowing next February

28/06/2013 at 10:06
Acer seeds - I read an article stating that some acers do not grow true to the parent if grown from seed, how do you know which will and won't grow true to type?
Also, does anyone know if there is a limit on how long you can store seeds in a fridge?
28/06/2013 at 11:48

If you've got a species plant it will seed true. If you have a fancy cultivar it won't, though it may be similar enough to pass.

Why not sow the seeds instead of storing them. In a pot of free draining compost, outside, grit on top. They germinate in spring

28/06/2013 at 12:52

I save seeds where possible,then grow them on to sale as plants at local fetes .

29/07/2013 at 11:17
What do I need to do with poppies so I can have more next year?
29/07/2013 at 14:31

tie a paper bag to the seed head before it starts to dry out and then wait until it dried because as it tries it will twist to release it's seeds and the paper bag will stop them falling to the ground

Seed head and not the flower, wait until the flower has stopped it's cycle and start to show signs of dying

James

05/09/2013 at 20:17

Poppies Debby 1967.....easy peasy....save seed heads & sprinkle about

06/09/2013 at 07:15

I am saving seed this year encouraged by these blogs. I have also "sown" seed from a `Panicum Purple Haze` as it has baby grasses around it in the garden. Probably just the weather for it this summer. There is nothing to lose by trying!

I really like these Pages!

06/09/2013 at 18:28

I let mine self seed as you can always remove if in wrong place. I have a country garden backing on to stream, fields & river & don't mind seeing them popping up. If removal is important it is an easy job.

1 to 20 of 23 messages