Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to collect and sow foxglove seed

One of my foxgloves grew more over 8ft with a flower head of 4ft

is this normal? Liz Bridger

• hogweedhogweed Posts: 4,053

The wild pink ones in my garden grow anything from 3 to 8 feet.

'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • hutchmanhutchman Posts: 39
    I don't know if anyone else does this but I cut the flower spikes as above, then I lay them straight onto a seed tray filled with compost, so when the seeds fall out from the seed heads straight into the tray, germinate and then prick out into pots to 'over winter'.

When all done all I have to do is remove the withered stems onto the compost to recycle.

Works every time. Hope this helps others.

Best regards.
  • Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

Well I should find out next summer cos I've got foxgloves coming out of my ears right now image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I find they can seed and sow without any input from me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • On any one flower spike there will be seed capsules which are immature at the top, others that have already escaped at the bottom, and ready-to-collect ones in between. Collect some capsules from the middle, place in a paper bag, shake and hey presto you have ten million seeds. They are minute so only need sprinkling where you want them to germinate, including your seed tray. No need to cover.

• Hi can anyone expand further on the next steps. Totally novice gardener!!
  • MotherBMotherB Posts: 5
    Hi Kittiwake

The seeds are very small as WW said. Collect from the middle of the spire as suggested. Sprinkle them sparingly on top of damp seed compost, John Innis no. 1 is good for this. You can mix the seeds with sand if it helps (not builder's sand). Label them.

Leave them somewhere safe making sure they don't dry out.

When they are large enough to handle, prick them out gently and transfer to very small pots or plugs.

They'll die down over winter but don't worry about that.

When they start growing again you just keep potting them into larger pots, 1" bigger each time until they are the size you want.

Hope that helps .
  • MotherBMotherB Posts: 5
    Ha, sorry. Predictive text changed your name kittyjane.
  • Katherine WKatherine W Posts: 410

The most effective foxglove sowing method in my garden is my huge dog running around wagging his fat fluffy tail into everything. You can hear the tall foxgloves stalks shaking out their load, and you know you missed another year to sow them scientifically, but since they all sprout (usually in the paths) and are very amenable to be transplanted, all is well in the end. Jade is a great gardener.

• LizzybusyLizzybusy Posts: 87

I cut the stem when I see some pods are about to burst open. Take the stem to where you want to grow them, then just shake. They rattle! When they start to grow, just dig them up and move where you want or pot up to give away. Seen them I garden centres for £5 a plant!!!!! I must have £100's in my garden......