London (change)
Today 12°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
31/07/2014 at 16:51
One of my foxgloves grew more over 8ft with a flower head of 4ft
is this normal? Liz Bridger
31/07/2014 at 16:59

Elizabeth.........depending what type you have, I wouldn't say it is abnormal.

The basic  ones can certainly reach the size you mention without too much trouble

31/07/2014 at 18:53

The wild pink ones in my garden grow anything from 3 to 8 feet.

01/08/2014 at 20:26
I don't know if anyone else does this but I cut the flower spikes as above, then I lay them straight onto a seed tray filled with compost, so when the seeds fall out from the seed heads straight into the tray, germinate and then prick out into pots to 'over winter'.
When all done all I have to do is remove the withered stems onto the compost to recycle.

Works every time. Hope this helps others.

Best regards.
01/08/2014 at 22:34

Well I should find out next summer cos I've got foxgloves coming out of my ears right now 

01/08/2014 at 22:36

I find they can seed and sow without any input from me

02/08/2014 at 05:55

On any one flower spike there will be seed capsules which are immature at the top, others that have already escaped at the bottom, and ready-to-collect ones in between. Collect some capsules from the middle, place in a paper bag, shake and hey presto you have ten million seeds. They are minute so only need sprinkling where you want them to germinate, including your seed tray. No need to cover.

03/08/2014 at 12:30
Hi can anyone expand further on the next steps. Totally novice gardener!!
09/07/2015 at 19:05
Hi Kittiwake
The seeds are very small as WW said. Collect from the middle of the spire as suggested. Sprinkle them sparingly on top of damp seed compost, John Innis no. 1 is good for this. You can mix the seeds with sand if it helps (not builder's sand). Label them.
Leave them somewhere safe making sure they don't dry out.
When they are large enough to handle, prick them out gently and transfer to very small pots or plugs.
They'll die down over winter but don't worry about that.
When they start growing again you just keep potting them into larger pots, 1" bigger each time until they are the size you want.
Hope that helps .
09/07/2015 at 19:05
Ha, sorry. Predictive text changed your name kittyjane.
09/07/2015 at 19:49

The most effective foxglove sowing method in my garden is my huge dog running around wagging his fat fluffy tail into everything. You can hear the tall foxgloves stalks shaking out their load, and you know you missed another year to sow them scientifically, but since they all sprout (usually in the paths) and are very amenable to be transplanted, all is well in the end. Jade is a great gardener.

09/07/2015 at 20:05

I cut the stem when I see some pods are about to burst open. Take the stem to where you want to grow them, then just shake. They rattle! When they start to grow, just dig them up and move where you want or pot up to give away. Seen them I garden centres for £5 a plant!!!!! I must have £100's in my garden......

09/07/2015 at 20:12

a business  opportunity Lizzy. Invent a fancy name for them and get them on ebay

09/07/2015 at 20:19

Hi Nutcutlet

I do sell some plants on ebay, but foxgloves? Wouldn't know what colour they would be! I guess the £5 charge is for the selective breeding!

09/07/2015 at 21:13
I often think I should sell plants. Do people actually buy them on eBay?
09/07/2015 at 21:18

Yes! I enjoy spreading the joy of plants. Postage is the big killer though.

09/07/2015 at 22:41

I paid £9 for a mature foxglove this week! from a posh garden centre near me! Hopefully it will lead to many more! Do they self so quite easily? 

09/07/2015 at 22:59

Katherine W. Has the best method.

They are very fussy when you try to help them with prepared soil and warmth in seed trays. They do not like it.

Give them a shake and let them do their own thing. They love damp and shade. when they grow on (profusely) after, just leave them fore a while and take the smaller plants.

Once established in pots they will need rain water only. They will then thrive or die. 

Do not mollycoddle them.

16/07/2015 at 13:16

I don't have a cold frame, can I put my pots with seeds in on my kitchen window sill?

16/07/2015 at 13:45

No idea what this one is but would like to try and do something to reproduce, no matter the eventual colour.  Presumably these seed pods are too green for removing or collecting just now?  Not sure whether to leave the stem as it is for a while longer or chop it now and keep the pods or just chop this stem off and hope for side shoots.  I can't remember which type this is, think it was classed as a small or miniature or something.  It's only about 5 ft.

1 to 20 of 35 messages