London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
14 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
brilliant info as i have just taken up gardening seriously.Always done gardening but t the age of 48 i want more than just yearly plants.
I am new to gardening, we have just move from a flat to a house with a beautiful garden. our daffodils have died back should we now group the leaves together & tie them in a knot or cut them back?
hello! I am new to gardening and have started off with basics that give colour to the garden, but the garden is overrun by ivy - in the flower beds, patio - everywhere. How can I get rid of this?
Also, what do I do with pansies when the heads begin to droop? Do I dehead or cut at the bottom of the stalks
24/11/2011 at 15:28
hi, I would try and dig out some of your ivy making sure you get as much of the roots as poss. If you've got room plant a hydrangea, they love wet soil and mine is in full bloom at the mo and looks gorgeous. Also petunias are lovely and really easy to look after, when the flower head starts to die off just pick it off and this will prolong the flowers. good luck and Enjoy! I need help pruning my lupins so any advice welcome.....
24/11/2011 at 15:29
how to prune camelias
24/11/2011 at 15:29
Brilliant advice.
08/07/2012 at 11:41

when lupins have finished flowering should I cut the whole plant to the groun or just cut off all the dead flowers?

08/07/2012 at 11:44
heathurner wrote (see)

when lupins have finished flowering should I cut the whole plant to the groun or just cut off all the dead flowers?

Just remove the flowering stems-not only may they flower again this year the plant needs the leaves to build up flowering potential for next year

It will start to die down naturally later in the year- then you can tidy it up

03/02/2014 at 09:58
We have several very successful flowering sage shrubs which have only just started to lose flower. We are confused about how to cut back or prune at the correct amount. ie ground level or above. Some are woody but with plenty of side growth- 2-3ft. tall, others are 18 in - 2ft. Is it correct to cut to ground level or would it be disastrous to cut out all that woody growth?

Please help and thank you

Mal Davies
03/02/2014 at 10:30

you might do better to start a new thread with this Mal.

If you have a photo it would help to know what plant you're talking about.

29/03/2014 at 17:21
please could you tell me how to take dead flowers off my primroses
29/03/2014 at 17:45

Diane........just pinch off at the base of the flowers............unless you want them to self seed

29/03/2014 at 19:27

Obviously I will do nothing this year, but should I take the risk later.  I have a Perle d'azure clematis about 20 years old.  It flowers not terribly profusely at the top of tall bushes , so not getting much value from it.  There is a long thick stem which it would frighten me to cut, prune, whatever.  What should I do, please? 

01/05/2014 at 10:34
Also just taken up gardening seriously last year, and the info is a must do to any gardener. I planted 2 Argyranthemum Molimba White last year and dead headed one to see the difference it was amazing how many flower returned on the on I dead headed. Will be doing it daily this year. On the Ivy problem i also had ivy growing it attacked my shed and got everywhere. The problem was it was not on my land it was my neighbours, but when they moved out i had permission to get rid, dug up and ripped out all the roots seemed to do the trick took a while though.
email image
14 messages