London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
10 messages
AEH
02/01/2014 at 16:51
This is not a good idea. It is hard work, unnecessary and will kill a lot of worms.
02/01/2014 at 17:01

It's useful for getting the menfolk out of the house, and out from under their wives feet.

However,  being female, I have never double dug. I usually just fork the soil over, enough to tickle in any compost or FYM.

02/01/2014 at 17:53

Not sure I entirely agree with you AEH. Previously uncultivated soil should be dug to remove perennial weeds etc, as should heavily compacted soil. However I do agree that a well looked after bed does not need winter digging, compost can just be added to the top and the worms will do the rest.

There are areas of my garden where I bitterly regret not having dug them over properly before I started planting. They are now plagued by perennial weeds which I never quite get on top of.

02/01/2014 at 18:49

Yes, agree with punkdoc.  Dig it thoroughly first, get plenty of compost or manure in and then top dress the soil annually.  Without that first dig the ground will forever be a challenging foe.  

02/01/2014 at 20:44

I agree to with punkdoc and Verdun. I'm so pleased I double dug veg and flower beds first before planting. It was so hard work but with a layer of compost, muck or mulch each Autumn the beds now have loads of worms in and look like black gold in all but the hottest summers and weeds pull out so easy...

Digging in Winter though isn't a good plan, best done in the Autumn or Spring.  

03/01/2014 at 00:43

You could stand on an old plank to spread the weight?

09/01/2014 at 13:50

Unfortunatly for us, we have recently moved into a house where the rear garden (in talking to the neighbours) hasn't been worked, at all!!!! in 12 years. All the borders had regrown grass and are heavily compacted. I don't suppose all you folks who don't dig your borders have a spare afternoon do you?

09/01/2014 at 13:56

gold cup week  suits me

04/02/2014 at 07:22
I thought you didn't need to dig raised beds as they are not walked on. I just put horse manure on top in late autumn
04/02/2014 at 11:12

Well, we did dig over our former cow pasture to remove major weeds and then we covered it with black plastic for a year but such is its fertility and its proximity to neighbouring pasture that thistes, nettles, couch grass and creeping buttercup just laughed at us and came back.

They now get nuked or forked out depending on location and surrounding plants but I can guarantee that just a few weeks later there will be nettles and couch grass and creeping buttercup coming back and fresh crops of groundsel and bittercress and dandelions.

It's a constant battle as they grow faster than so called ground cover, weed suppressing perennials.   Makes for a lot of compost though and that goes on the veggie beds and new beds.   We never dig the raised beds.  At best the, ones along the boundary get forked over to remove couch grass before I plant up in spring.

email image
10 messages