London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 7°C
8 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I have some Iris's that I planted last year. They didn't flower then but I thought they would this year. Still no luck. What am I doing wrong?
24/11/2011 at 15:28
Help! I am getting addicted to your website! Thank you so much for all your help and advice. I am a new gardener and you are my bible.
Question: Once Irises have stopped flowering. Can I cut off the flowering stem immediately? Do I leave it as with daffodils?
Thanks in advance for your reply.
21/08/2012 at 10:11
I Have planted iris's for the first time this year and they have come up a treat. Will I need to divide them this year or do I just leave them in the ground, also can i leave Gladioli corms in the ground or do I need to dig them up?
21/08/2012 at 10:31

Lots of questions there. First of all first year Irises do not need splitting up. Next year maybe, if the rhizomes are overcorwded. Resons for non-flowering are many, but take your pick from, 1 too young, 2 underfed and 3 lack of sunlight on the roots last Summer.

1 Wait.

2. Feed with Maxicrop about now and Tomato type food in early Spring.

3. Move to a sunnier place. Or if the rhizomes are overshadowed or facing the wrong direction, change that. They should always be planted sp that the rhizomes are exposed to as much sun  as possible.

Next, o;d flowering stems. Cut the stem itself off back to where it emerged from the leaves. Clean up and remove and dead or dying leaves and you can if the tips are going brownl cut of the tops of the leaves, but to no more than half their length. The plant needs them for food production.

Gladiolus bulbs may be left in ,if you are on a well drained sandy soil and they were planted deeply enough for frost not to reach the corms, otherwise dig up and store over winter for replanting in Spring.

21/08/2012 at 10:37

Berghill is right if these are flag irises-Petew- if they are dutch irises they can stay in-what sort did you plant do you know?

21/08/2012 at 12:24

I was told to expose the rhizomes and not to plant them too deeply . Hope that was the correct information - mine were split last year and didn't flower so I'm hoping they will do better next season . They've always flowered until I split them and are in a sunny spot and well fed so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

21/08/2012 at 12:31

I am unsure as to the type but have many different colours eg. blue/yellow, brown or black/yellow/purple, white with a touch of yellow. Don't know if they are flag or dutch?

21/08/2012 at 12:34

Flag irises have a thick root-a rhizome-and broad leaves-a bit like flags

email image
8 messages