London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
7 messages
26/04/2012 at 16:50
Would like to see similar projects for aluminium greenhouses. would love to know how to get the bubble wrap to stay up, how to fix up a shelf for bits & bob's etc. Anyone got any idea's to share?
26/04/2012 at 21:26

Hold on a sec. Are we asking about guttering, bubble wrap or shelving? Attaching bubble wrap. Garden centres sell plastic whatsits for the very purpose. Shelving. They will also sell tiny right angled brackets and special alloy nuts & bolts. I've just fitted a wooden shelf in the greenhouse. 5" wide wood. I made short length of copper brackets made from old water pipe with alloy nuts & bolts and a screw at each end. Easy DIY job.

26/04/2012 at 23:48

Copper and Aluminium are electrochemically not compatible. I.e. the aluminium will corrode quickly in contact with copper. Not a good idea. Otherwise I agree with you. Just use aluminium alloy for the brackets where possible, or insulate the metals from each other with plastic, or possibly paint the copper to minimise metallic contact between the two.

27/04/2012 at 08:54
Thanks for that Trillium - I use an old bit of copper pipe to prop up my aluminium framed cold frame lid. Will have a hunt in the depths of the shed for something more suitable - and maybe use copper pipe for slug deterrent. I got aluminium shelf brackets with gh fixings from Two Wests and Elliot a few years back, I'm sure they still do them.
13/05/2012 at 18:50
How can you fit guttering to an octagonal greenhouse? It's an Alton cedar. Any advice very welcome
18/01/2013 at 14:10
Hi, I would like to know how to fit guttering on a 'PLASTIC' shed. It's 6'x8' just like a conventional wooden shed.
18/01/2013 at 14:45
Minnie2 wrote (see)
Hi, I would like to know how to fit guttering on a 'PLASTIC' shed. It's 6'x8' just like a conventional wooden shed.

Bit confused-but are there any wooden battens inside the top of the shed you can screw into from the outside?

How strong is this plastic- will a screw hold?

email image
7 messages