Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow agapanthus from seed

I lost my agapanthus last winter and am glad to find a way to grow some from seed

• pam3pam3 Posts: 5
    My agapanthus does not produce large seed heads. The flowers fall off before a seed head is formed?? Also, I'm not sure where to keep the seeds when sewn, or the seedlings. In a heated/cold greenhouse or outside? Can anyone help. Thanks.
  • GwenoGweno Posts: 4
    One of my favourite plants. Think I am going to have to buy a greenhouse for my new seedings & cuttings ! Thank you x
  • tanktank Posts: 1
    when should the seed be sown?
  • I saved some seeds from our agapanthus in Autumn. I have kept them in a paper bag inside a tin so they are dry and not too hot/cold as they are in the garage. When should I sow them? Do they need heat or is an unheated greenhouse OK? Any help/comments would be appreciated.

• I collected lots of seeds last Easter and they have been put in a plastic bag in the shed. Will they be worth planting or should I try again this year and plant them straight away. My plants are mini agapanthus, do they grow just as well from seed and fast will they grow.
  • I have grown some agapanthus from last years seed which is just about 2inches tall in seed trays, when do I know its ready to pot on and when do I know its ready to plant outside.
  • We collected seeds last year and have kept them in an envelope until April this year, I planted them in a seed tray next to some eucalyptus seeds the euc's have come up and been planted on to 3inch pots and the agapanthus are just starting to show green tips. They are kept in our open loft space, as it's south facing there is plenty of light and  heat. Will now have to see how I get on as its the first time of growing these.

Geoff  

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I sowed loads of agapanthus seed last spring form seed collected th eprevious year and stored in paper bags.  Loads germinated and I potted them on when big enough to handle and gave away about 30 babies.  Unfortunately, this winter I have lost all 3 parent plants and all the babies.  It wasn't as cold as the previous winters but we did have a nasty cold spell after a warm patch in Feb when things got excited before they should.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • fieldfestfieldfest Posts: 5
    brilliant article, now i know how to grow agapanthus I would never have stood a chance without this article!

so you have to:

a) get some seed, and then

b) plant the seed

wow!
  • fieldfest wrote (see)
    brilliant article, now i know how to grow agapanthus I would never have stood a chance without this article!

so you have to:
    a) get some seed, and then
    b) plant the seed

wow!

No you sow seed- not plant them -you plant plants.