London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
14 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I lost my agapanthus last winter and am glad to find a way to grow some from seed
24/11/2011 at 15:29
My agapanthus does not produce large seed heads. The flowers fall off before a seed head is formed?? Also, I'm not sure where to keep the seeds when sewn, or the seedlings. In a heated/cold greenhouse or outside? Can anyone help. Thanks.
24/11/2011 at 15:30
One of my favourite plants. Think I am going to have to buy a greenhouse for my new seedings & cuttings ! Thank you x
21/01/2012 at 21:04
when should the seed be sown?
22/01/2012 at 18:42

I saved some seeds from our agapanthus in Autumn. I have kept them in a paper bag inside a tin so they are dry and not too hot/cold as they are in the garage. When should I sow them? Do they need heat or is an unheated greenhouse OK? Any help/comments would be appreciated.

12/04/2012 at 07:25
I collected lots of seeds last Easter and they have been put in a plastic bag in the shed. Will they be worth planting or should I try again this year and plant them straight away. My plants are mini agapanthus, do they grow just as well from seed and fast will they grow.
01/05/2012 at 07:50
I have grown some agapanthus from last years seed which is just about 2inches tall in seed trays, when do I know its ready to pot on and when do I know its ready to plant outside.
18/05/2012 at 16:40

We collected seeds last year and have kept them in an envelope until April this year, I planted them in a seed tray next to some eucalyptus seeds the euc's have come up and been planted on to 3inch pots and the agapanthus are just starting to show green tips. They are kept in our open loft space, as it's south facing there is plenty of light and  heat. Will now have to see how I get on as its the first time of growing these.

Geoff  

18/05/2012 at 17:16

I sowed loads of agapanthus seed last spring form seed collected th eprevious year and stored in paper bags.  Loads germinated and I potted them on when big enough to handle and gave away about 30 babies.  Unfortunately, this winter I have lost all 3 parent plants and all the babies.  It wasn't as cold as the previous winters but we did have a nasty cold spell after a warm patch in Feb when things got excited before they should.

28/06/2012 at 15:13
brilliant article, now i know how to grow agapanthus I would never have stood a chance without this article!

so you have to:
a) get some seed, and then
b) plant the seed

wow!
28/06/2012 at 15:18
fieldfest wrote (see)
brilliant article, now i know how to grow agapanthus I would never have stood a chance without this article!

so you have to:
b) plant the seed

wow!

No you sow seed- not plant them -you plant plants.

28/06/2012 at 22:10
lazy gardener wrote (see)
fieldfest wrote (see)

so you have to:
b) plant the seed

wow!

No you sow seed- not plant them -you plant plants.

Touché to the pedant

I was only messing BTW

28/06/2012 at 23:30

Just a word of warning that agapanthus can be a bit of a thug.  I grew Headborne Hybrids from seed and then more plants from the seeds produced (takes 2-3 years before they flower.)  They mature to the flowering stage fastest if the roots are restricted, but if you don't restrict them, the thick fleshy roots can take-over a large area around them.  I planted one in a large (1.5m diameter) container and now nothing else will grow in there as the roots have completely filled it!  Next time, I'll keep them in pots and bury the pot to the rim when planting agapanthus in  borders and large containers!

31/07/2012 at 12:26

Hi has anybody got a picture of agapanthus seedlings mine look like clumps of grass

email image
14 messages