London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
6 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
This is such a fabulous idea. I love it!

When looking for a plant and not knowing it's exact name, being able to sort by 'Most Popular' or 'Early Flowering' or other similar catergories would be really useful, like when I do my shopping, I can choose 'Price Ascending' or various other ways. This may be already in the pipeline..?
24/05/2012 at 21:55
It would have been helpful if you could have named a few annual climbers for us to look out for.
25/05/2012 at 07:48

I'm growing Black-eyed Susan for the first time this year but there's also climbing nasturtium, Morning Glory and Canary Creeper, amongst others.  It's probably a bit late in the day to start growing all of them from seed now as some take a while to get going but many of the plant catalogues sell annual climbers as plants.

25/05/2012 at 10:15

Morning Glory can still be planted now, and will flower well this year.

25/03/2013 at 06:42
Might I recommend a couple of other 'annual' climbers. Many years ago I grew 'Cobea scandans'and was amazed by the growth it made in one year. It was certainly a 'talking point'.Calling it 'lush' would be polite.
I also had a go at 'Eccremocarpus scaber'.
My gardening has always been a bit 'irregular'so I don't see anyone having any problems bringing these on from seed. It might be a bit late now .. but next year!(Always 'next year').
I also found Black-Eyed Susan easy from seed and many Garden Centres only seem to stock this as larger plants with what seems to me a hefty price tag.
Off subject just a little, the mention of Sweet Peas reminded me that I also grew the perennial sweet pea from seed with no difficulty. Now, I'm not sure of the value of the plant.
25/03/2013 at 06:49

Good morning Asmodius - I've not grown Cobea scandans - would it take to a shady bank?  I could do with some additional coverage of the fence behind the bank until the clematis get going.

With a name like yours I'd have thought you'd grow Kniphofia 

email image
6 messages