Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow aubergines

i have an allotment but i don't have a greenhouse but i am lucky to have a friend that lets me use thier greenhouse so i will give aubergines this year along with my chillies and maybe a few tomatoes i will keep you posted on how i get on

• Phil3Phil3 Posts: 2
    A number of garden advice articles suggest 'maintaining a temperature of 21 degrees' Without heating my greenhouse, which is impractical and definitely not 'green' how is this achieved? My greenhouse varies in March, from 5 degrees to 30 degrees!
  • i have had no luck whatsoever growing aubergines so any tips would be welcome
  • Daniel HaynesDaniel Haynes Posts: 393 admin

Good luck with that, supersuzie1 - do keep us posted.

Phil3 - you can start off aubergines in a small heated propagator (please see link below), but the plants do need heat once they've outgrown that. It might be worth a try anyway, and we might be blessed with a sufficiently hot summer to ripen the fruits. Or, alternatively, consider a crop that doesn't feel the cold quite as much!

kimi2000 - do take a look at our practical guide to growing aubergines, and Kate Bradbury's blog on the subject. Good luck

• I grew 10 aurbergine plants last year, once growing well I put the plants into my greenhouse. I had plenty of flowers some did fall off but I didn't get one aurbergine, I have sown 6 seeds a few weeks ago and 5 seedlings are up, could it be that the pot size was the problem as the largest pot I used was 10cm?
  • Can you please explain with a clear photo what you mean by ''remove main tip '' of aubergine plant ?

Thanks
  • Daniel BDaniel B Posts: 1

Hello, thank you for the information. What do you spray with tepid water, the flower or the plant? (this is mentioned while tapping the flower) Thank you

• I grew aubergines last year in my greenhouse, they fruited well and grew to maturity,however they were inedible as they were very bitter.-any comments?

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Could be you left them to long on the plant. Aubergines are best picked when they are still glossy looking. Dull coloured fruits are usually bitter.

• Can the aubergine plant survive outdoors in England?