London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
14 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
I believe (i could be wrong as fairly new to this myself) that manuring is very good, in the previous automn or late winter, not directly before you plant the potatoes. If you haven't had the time for this then use some compost/chicken pellets mix.
i realy want to grow them its great!!
Bit confused, I have read that you should not manure potatoes but use fertilizer instead. Would like to know which is best.
When is the best time to replant a bay tree ? I have a bay in my back yard which has grown to about 8 feet high and it really could do with being in a fresh environment, I have the space on my allotment, but not the knowladge.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
potatoes in the allotment have grown well but when cooked they become dry and crumbly even when gently steamed Help!
24/11/2011 at 15:29
when is it best time to move a rhododendron been in about a year
I would plant them all about the same time, as it's the growing time that's different between the three, isn't it? 1st, 2nd earlies, then maincrop take successively longer than the other (in that order) to mature. So I guess you need to work out when you want to lift each crop and if you want a gap between them or not. Feel free to completely ignore this and do what you think's best, it's the way to learn! Happy digging!
yes l thought it was a very helpfull comment i have never chited be for i will be giving it a go
When should I plant early potatoes, 2nd earlies and main crop? I have chitted them all but am not sure if I should spread the planting out over a few weeks? Any help greatly appreciated.
10/02/2012 at 13:19
this is so good :D
10/02/2012 at 13:20

and this i so helpful for young intelnegent students

04/03/2012 at 08:36
I find dig a trench plant spuds, cover with garden compost to retain moisture then earth up with the soil from the trench , this will retain moisture and
prevent scab
02/04/2012 at 19:04
I also read that you shouldn't put potatoes in to a freshly manured plot.
That book also recommended allowing kitchen waste to compost indoors for a while before placing it in your outdoors compost bin. BAD IDEA - unless you want a houseful of fruit flies.
That book also recommended you place a wire mesh in your compost bin sections for your compost to sit on so the air can circulate underneath it. ANOTHER BAD IDEA - the compost just keeps on breaking up and falling through the mesh eventually giving no under-base air circulation and then you have the devil's own job getting your fork or spade sliding along that mesh base to get the last of your compost out.
I better not say what the book was in case I get hounded by the publisher's lawyers.
I think you and I should get better gardening reference books for our vegy-growing. Suggestions on a postcard please !?!
23/03/2013 at 11:36
Has Monty Don seen the temperature readings or the weather forecasts recently, especially for North Yorkshire where I live? Some comment on the reaction of potatoes to cold wet ground in early spring would have been appropriate!!
email image
14 messages