London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
5 messages
26/09/2012 at 20:58
A friend has given me this plant for a present a couple of weeks ago. Does this plant die back in winter and lose it's leaves?
27/09/2012 at 06:22
Julie F wrote (see)
 Does this plant die back in winter and lose it's leaves?

Probably, yes.

I have tried growing this plant a couple of times. The first time I grew this plant I was thrilled with it, but failed to overwinter it. I'm trying again this year.

It can be grown in the garden, or as a house plant.

If grown in the garden then I understand that it should be treated in a roughly simiar manner to dahlias. It has a similar sort of tuber which should be lifted and stored in a 'frost free' place over Winter.

It can also be grown as a houseplant. I'm not exactly sure what happens then. I aniticipate that most of the foliage will die down during the Winter.

When I tried, I tried to overwinter in a frost-free greenhouse. The tubers did not come to life in the Spring. My guess is that the greenhouse, although frost free, was far too cool. A website about growing this as a houseplant says that the minimum overwintering temperature is 60F or 16C. My frost-free greenhouse was a lot colder than that.

This year I intend to bring the tubers inside the house.

Some instructions for growing as a house plant are here:
http://www.guide-to-houseplants.com/glory-lily.html

19/07/2013 at 17:08
I've just been give some gloriosa tubers (mid July) Is it too late to plant them this year or will they keep until next spring?
20/07/2013 at 08:31

Mine has flowered and now started to die down. I don't know if it is because the weather has been too hot, we had it in the conservatory, but it was not a great success this year, not many flowers and the colour was not good..

They can be very tempremental. I have had them in the past and they have been lovely, other years they just didn't grow.

I'm no expert but if your tuber has a nodule/bud on one end give it a try, I don't think it will keep until next year, but other people may know better. Best of luck.

14/07/2014 at 15:30

I bought a Gloriosa 3 years ago, marked down because it had all but finished flowering. The following year all three tubers grew giving a good show. This year only one grew, but I suspect they perhaps need feeding to build the tubers, which I did not do.

However, this year two flowers are developing seed pods, so I am now trying to find out how to grow from seed. Any ideas anyone?

The plant is in a frost-free north facing conservatory, with some low level heating in winter.

email image
5 messages