Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow hippeastrum

Great instructions for before and during but what do we do with the bulbs when they've finished flowering? Can they be kept and nurtured again for next year?
Thanks.

• Dear Adam,
    I was given severn Hippeastrum bulbs some five / six years go the then bulbs where quite small but have now developed into lovely bulbs but no flowers, lots of leaves,I feed them from the beginning of Dec; until the end of Feb; with a high potash content,any suggestion's please would be most welcome.
  • I have not had a Hippeastrum for years and it is obvious to me now after reading all the comments that I did not have a clue as to how I should look after it.
    I think it is just so wonderful that we can now see a video on how to care for plants.
    By the way, those who have trouble seeing the videos should get themselves a 'Mac' and they will not miss any videos.
  • Like bambi2900 I have just had an amasing flower from my amarylis bulb but what should I do now with the bulb for further success?
  • truditrudi Posts: 3
    It would be really helpful to know what to do after Amarylis stops flowering: Are all the stems and leaves cut down as soon as the bulb has stopped flowering - idiot guide required please. Many thanks.
  • Please - when and with what shouls hippeastrums be fed?????
  • when and with what should hippeastrums be fed??
  • Love theses Bulbs
  • It seems no one in the gardening world wants to answer a simple question what do you do with the Amaryllis once it has flowered and died back what do you do with the bulbs etc. Please help out as we are very interested in what to do to save the bulbs. Thanks
  • sheddysheddy Posts: 15
    I just let it all die down naturally and then leave it to dry out in a cool room till next year and then start it off again by giving it small amounts of tepid water until it shows signs of growth and then slowly increase the watering until it starts to grow leaves then give it small amounts of feed
  • How long should i Leave the leaves to grow? Shoud I cut them down sometime?