London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I gasped in horror watching this as i manured all my soil in spring and also give a liquid feed every few weeks . i love the look of the new lupins and will be adding more nxt year.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
i have jused started to plant hollyhock seeds in my greenhouse , when do i put them outsied, how big should they be when planted?
24/05/2012 at 12:58
Your video is unplayable ... it jumps and sticks (I have a 20MB connection and no problem playing big videos on any other site).
. I'm annoyed I waded my way through two adverts to try to watch this.
24/05/2012 at 14:24
Barry888 wrote (see)
Your video is unplayable ... it jumps and sticks (I have a 20MB connection and no problem playing big videos on any other site). .

The video worked OK for me. It's only a tiny YouTube-style video. It won't require any bandwidth at all.

I'm a big fan of lupins. Like most wild flowers they prefer poor soil. The name 'lupin' is actually a reference to that. Lupin comes from the Latin for 'wolf'. The Romans observed that lupins only grow on poors soils, and mistakely thought that the lupins were responsible for improverishing the soil, like ravenous wolves. But the fact is that the poor soil comes fiirst.

11/06/2012 at 15:34
I am also having problems viewing this video. All I get is the really annoying wine advert on a loop. It's driving me a little bit crazy and I vow never to buy Bancott wine. Have watched some of the other videos with no problems.
11/06/2012 at 16:20
 But the fact is that the poor soil comes fiirst.
THAT must be why mine are Happier than pigs ... in poo.... have effectivley created a garden from "wasteland" ..... so overgrown with everything imaginable and untouched for a good 5 years..... we are on clay too, so all I did was mix in some top soil, compost, and some manure to make the flowerbeds ..... seems to be working....for the Lupins at least!!!

11/06/2012 at 22:03

I grew this from seed,  this is last years flower so well pleased,  this years is even better but I need to take a photo of it

http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz184/rainjustlearning/IMG_0348.jpg

12/06/2012 at 07:00

No probs with the video.  The advert's not a loop, just one similar short advert after another - the adverts are what pays for the video and this site, so unless we want to pay to come on here we'll have to put up with them.  After all, we don't have to buy what's advertised if we don't want to.  

As for the video,  thought it had some helpful info, particularly about the new lupins - I'm planning a new mixed herbaceous border and I shall look out for the new varieties.

12/06/2012 at 22:21

I've grown some from seed this year, do I need to pinch the plants out as they look a bit spindly they have 2-3 pairs of leaves, sadly some have been munched by slugs when I put them outside while we were away last week so just have stems with no leaves on some of my seedlings, will they grow back or should I discard these ones.  would appreciate your comments. 

I grew my first Lupins to 'adulthood' last year, the first time I didn't lose them all to those infernal creatures - slugs! This year, they are four feet tall ad almost the same across, covered in flower spikes of several colours, and are covered in bees. What more can you wish for! One of the most rewrding plants I've grown from seed.
I grew my first Lupins to 'adulthood' last year, the first time I didn't lose them all to those infernal creatures - slugs! This year, they are four feet tall ad almost the same across, covered in flower spikes of several colours, and are covered in bees. What more can you wish for! One of the most rewarding plants I've grown from seed.
12/06/2012 at 22:45

Doesn't it make you feel good when you look at it and say "I grew that from seed" must say that they are better this year than last so when they finish flowering I shall take the seed's and grow some more,  they do fill the back of the borders with such colour and stand so tall and proud,  mine are in the front garden so definitely need some in the back garden so I can see them.

12/06/2012 at 23:29

I love lupins, I was lucky enough to have inherited one. I grew one last year (when I didn't know anything about them) and it survived and this year it's rewarded me. The bees absolutley love them, I hear them buzzing around them.

I will definately harvest seeds for next year.

Bit of an a side but the one of them one grew off sets last year which I've planted one ( & given away) so fingers crossed.

12/01/2013 at 13:17

Bought some lupin seeds last year from harrogate but alas there doesn't appear to say when to start them of in greenhouse any information please will be mos appreciated thanx.

12/01/2013 at 13:34
suze53 wrote (see)

Bought some lupin seeds last year from harrogate but alas there doesn't appear to say when to start them of in greenhouse any information please will be mos appreciated thanx.

Sow around mid-Feb -but soak the seeds first for 24 hours.

You may get flowers in the first year -but more likely in the second year

09/03/2013 at 17:12
What video? I couldn't even find one.
09/03/2013 at 17:26
Fran3 wrote (see)
What video? I couldn't even find one.

Well it is there-just watched it to check-may be a problem with the browser you are using or the device you are on.

09/03/2013 at 17:46
I grow several lupins but replace most o f them every 2 or 3 years. In my experience they like poor to decent soil....in decent soil they will produce bigger n better flowers. They seem to dislike too much lime...leaves develop chlorosis. I never grow from seed preferring to take cuttings/split them.
09/03/2013 at 17:47

Might also be an issue if you're using an ad blocking software. If I turn mine off I can see the video.

The seeds that I sowed last year and over wintered are doing well, got about 4-5 small plants. No idea what colour they will be as they were a mixed packet of Russells Hybrids. Not sure if they will flower this year, but I'm hopefull given the growth they are showing.

09/03/2013 at 21:20

When's the best time to split/move, I need to swap 2 over?

1 to 20 of 32 messages