Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow orchids

I was expecting some advice on how far back to trim the shoots that have finished flowering.

I was also wondering if you might comment on the use of glass or transparent plastic pots - I've read somewhere that light helps root development by promoting the growth of a symbiotic micro-organism. True / not true?

• Just want to say that phalaenopsis/moth orchids, need to be in a clear pot, to allow light to get to their roots, as they have a symbiotic fungi on them. Also, when trimming the flowering stems of the moth orchid, trim to just above a node below where the lowest flower was. That's what has worked for me.
  • i cut orchid back when finished flowering but have no w had any fresh flowers instead i have had WHAT I THINK ARE SIDE SHOOTS ONE I HAVE PUT IN FRESH POT WHICH APPEARS TO BE GROWING
  • Hello Olive,

Phalaenopsis, or moth orchids are epiphytic in the wild. Basically that means that they grow above ground in trees, rather than in soil on the ground. That is why the roots are greenish, and like to be exposed to the light, through a clear plastic, or glass pot. Although I have been told not to cut off the flowering shoots on moth orchids when they finish, some of mine turned brown and died this year, so I had to cut them off. As lilwead says, if you cut the stem just above the node where the last flower was, the stem should remain alive, and hopefully produce new flowers in a few months.

Emma.

gardenersworld.com team

• I've tried the stem cutting back to a healthy node, kept it in the bathroom under the sky light and recently started to feed it with an orchid feed. I've been waiting for more than 2years for a result!!  However the plant,(& ariel roots) are looking healthy and robust so a bit more patience.....  I was given another phalaenopsis that was looking quite stressed, the leaves drooped after a day and still are 6 months on but it's still in flower to my amazement.  I read that while it is still in flower to nip the ends of each stem so as i thought it wouldnt survive because of the leaves i did this and now have lots of new bud stems forming.  It's vital to do this before the flowers fall, will upload a photo if luck continues

• vashtevashte Posts: 2
    I bought a moth orchid in July 2010 and it was still in flowers July 2011,But was looking a bit tired.So I cut the stem of only to see a new stem coming on the other side.But it did have a rest and looking lovely now with its new flowering stem in bloom.

I always have about 8 in flower and another 12 resting or just starting sending up a new stem.

I have stop buying fresh flowers because you can get an orchid for £6.00 and it would last 6 months or more..
  • homebirdhomebird Posts: 110

I was advised to just trim the stem on one of mine as I normally cut it down after flowering. I was delighted to find a new bud appearing shortly after and am now enjoying this plants second flush of lovely flowers. You know what I will be doing again......

• i have found what appears to be a new orchid plant growing from an old flower stem.It has baby leaves etc.What should I do about it?
  • Hello Anne,

How exciting, you have what is called a keiki! These are baby orchids that grow on the stems of a mother plant. You can grow a new plant from this, but let it produce a root system and leaves before you cut it off the mother plant and pot it up.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

• my orchid is in flower and has developed leaves at the top . can iuse this to create a new plant
  • Paddy5Paddy5 Posts: 82
    Are clear plastic pots better than terracotta ?