London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
12 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I'm not sure about the different types of peas.
26/03/2012 at 18:48
I have read conflicting views about how far apart to plant. The packets says 2 inches but on this site it suggests 4-6?
28/02/2014 at 12:16
I grow my peas in lengths of guttering with cardboard separators every 25cms. They are then very easy to slide out and plant more quickly in sections.
28/02/2014 at 13:50

Hi Bella, i can highly recommend Hurst Green shaft they are a cracker with heavy crops. 4" apart for us and 12" between rows this makes it easy to use both sides of your supports,we used a metre high chicken wire.

28/02/2014 at 14:42

Im trying peas for the second time this season

I have been advised to place 3 - 4 foot tall  posts in the ground every 6 foot along and hang a net from a wire to form a partial wind break and to plant the peas on the side that the wind will blow from so the plants get pushed onto the netting

This allows you to weed easily in between

You can eithere use 2 lines of say 6 foot or one of 12 foot

I used twigs last year and it was impossible to weed or dificult to pick the peas

Good luck

01/03/2014 at 10:30

Hi newboy2 yes twigs not strong enough and as u say difficult, in the end we bought 2 lengths of semi rigid farmers type fence the one with 2 inches square mesh  one metre high sold at any length , Farm supplies sell it very cheap and it last forever ,we always find these suppliers  very helpful and cheap.

01/03/2014 at 10:47

I use cheap nylon mesh for peas that I can throw away afterwards, but perhaps not very "green". I hoe out a shallow trench about 6" wide and 2" deep and scatter the peas in about 2" apart, then cover them with the soil I hoed out. I find Kelvedon Wonder, which is a dwarf variety, is good, sweet and tasty, freezes well, also I like Hurst Green Shaft - but that is harder to find here in France.

What they call "wrinkled seeds" are usually sweeter that "smooth" ones, but smooth ones can be started earlier. The 2 above are wrinkled. I sow when weather has warmed a bit, end March, early April.

05/03/2014 at 23:41

Could anyone help with varieties of Snap peas and Mange-tout?  

I've had moderate success with ordinary peas, especially Hurst Green Shaft, but

this year would like to try these different types.  I probably won't be sowing them

before mid April.  Any tips?

Edd
06/03/2014 at 08:07

I had great results with Reuzensuiker (Mangetout) in the middle of the lawn grown up a wigwam.3' high There was far to many for one family. 

06/03/2014 at 08:11

I grow the dwarf early types.  Have a batch sown indoors already and when they are 2" or so high I will plant out in the garden under a double fleece.  (simply to,protect from birds etc. 

Tried the drainpipe method but it's not best way for me.  Peas do transplant ...for me...without any hiccup. Mangetout etc sown and grown same way.  I use short bamboo canes, maybe 3' long, with string as supports.  I cover peas when flowering with fleece to deter,the pea moth.

I eat and eat and eat peas for weeks on end in early summer.  Delicious, sweet and healthy 

06/03/2014 at 08:27

I love fresh peas. They don't even make it to the back door in my house!!

Like Verdun I have never had problems transplanting. My problem is not being able to grow enough!!!

06/03/2014 at 23:41

Thank you Edd for the Reuzensulker suggestion, [ though they sound over 

prolific for two oldies! ],  and thanks Verdun for pointing out the advantages of sowing

indoors first.  One year we lost two thirds of pea and bean seeds by sowing straight out in March.  Most probably mice.

email image
12 messages