London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
16 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
My rocket plants have been plagued by snails. Apart from wondering whether I could actually eat the snails I have found there, what can I do? I have put down slug pellets but it made no difference. Also, some have now gone to seed. Can I cultivate the seeds from the pods?
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I've been trying to grow rocket indoors but I started 6 weeks ago and still have no rocket. They seem to thrive as seedlings but then they die off gradually after about 4 weeks. All my other plants are doing great but I don't know why the rocket is doing so badly. I don't know if other people have this problem or if you have any suggestions to stop it from happening next time?
Great info, just what i was looking for!. reading the above comment tho my seedlings have just poped up hope they don,t die off tho?.
Hi Mine are doing the same,any help would be welcome.
26/01/2012 at 21:52
surround your plants with a barrier of sand. The snails will not pass.
22/03/2012 at 10:12
I live in an apartment and don't have time to keep an allotment I am trying to create a window ledge garden this year and my partner and I both love Rocket in our salads will it be okay indoors I have seen many articles recommending you get it started indoors and then move it outdoors but no indoors kits like you get for herbs and lettuce. Any body know if it does grow okay indoors and other top tips for success would be much appreciated.
22/03/2012 at 23:42

I see some of you have been sowing the rocket in November - i think the reason this doesnt grow is that the light levels are too low - also could be too warm?  I am growing mine in the greenhouse at the moment, and have put the pots outside the last few days, bringing them back in at night. But i think it will be OK to sow outside again now if I put a cloche over them.  

03/04/2012 at 21:28
On seed collection try www.realseeds.co.uk/ a super non-profit organisation dedicated to self seed collection. They do an excellent free document on all sorts of seed collection plus why it's a good idea.
24/10/2012 at 11:39

Have sown rocket for the first time in July got a great crop, they are obviously nearing their end though as they are almost a meter long and flowering, I am wondering can I take seeds from the flowers for next year???

27/06/2013 at 17:11
my rocket has yellow flowers are the flowers edible
27/06/2013 at 17:47

Yes. You will find the leaves are getting tough by the time the  rocket flowers.

Time to sow a fresh batch

01/05/2014 at 21:29

My rocket seems perpetual/self seeding. At the moment I have a fantastic row of plants about 2-3ft tall that have leaves and an abundance of flowers to pick for my salads. It is also a haven for various species of bees, flies and butterflies. Win, win!

14/05/2014 at 08:42

My first crop wilted for some reason. I used a tray to sow the seeds. kept the compost damp but for some reason after they were around 2 to 3 cm tall they wilted. Any thoughts.

They were in a greenhouse. Not in direct sun light. Covered when frost threatened.

New batch sewn yesterday.  

14/05/2014 at 09:55

Noticed in a back copy of GW magazine that they like to be sown quite deep, which is interesting.  Also, look out for varieties which are slow to bolt.  I am now picking it from a growbag which has been kept in the greenhouse.

14/05/2014 at 10:01

Rob, I sow Rocket directly into the ground, sprinkle a few slug pellets; a little water and then let them get on with it. This seems to work, I don't bother with seed trays.

16/05/2014 at 22:19

Thanks for the tips.

email image
16 messages