Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to grow tomato plants from cuttings

I did this last year and just snapped off the side shoots with my fingers and put them straight into damp compost. They all rooted really well.

• muddy maremuddy mare Posts: 106

good idea will have a go with that one thanks image

• Herby LouHerby Lou Posts: 9

Can I pot up the suckers to create more plants?

• What side shooys that aare not flowering lower down the plant or an actual side stem that has flowers attached????
  • Craig Williamson wrote (see)
    What side shooys that aare not flowering lower down the plant or an actual side stem that has flowers attached????

The side shoots that you normally remove and discard.

• I don't bother with the "sticking it in water" bit - just put it in a pot of growing medium and water sparingly - it always works for me.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

If there are flowers on the cutting it's best to nip them off before potting them up (or putting into water). Let the cutting put all its resources into its root development. More flowers will come.

• And do you get fruit off them this year?

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

That's down to your growing conditions. If you get decent weather you should. A cutting is basically a huge headstart on a second generation of plants. Looked after properly, you should be able to plant out the cutting - as a viable plant - within two or three weeks.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Great tip as always from Italophile image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • yvesyves Posts: 6
    a little confused about when to take the cuttings,am I to assume that you dont mean for THIS year,but beginning of next season?