London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
21 to 35 of 35 messages
09/09/2012 at 15:38
Blueboing101 wrote (see)
Ive had great success from baby yellow plum varieties keeping as little leaf growth and shots as possible and growing runners out on string. has given me very good crops off each plant. But little success from larger varieties my plants seem to end up stunted and with only two or three on it by the end of the summer, any idea's what I could be doing wrong I feed with a branded tomato food as stated and use the same grow bags which contain seaweed. I cant get why the cherry type varietys go mad but I struggle else where. Thanks in advance for any advice

Not sure what you mean by keeping as little leaf growth as possible. The plants need leaves for photosynthesis. You might get away with reduced photosynthesis for smaller varieties but larger ones need as much goodness as they can get from photosynthesis.

19/10/2012 at 11:12
This is going to sound silly but - I grow tomatoes from seed in greenhouse when all crop has been picked do you get rid of all of the tomato or do you keep the remaining plant perhaps cutting back for the following year? I've also started fresh each time?
19/10/2012 at 11:15
cbteddies wrote (see)
This is going to sound silly but - I grow tomatoes from seed in greenhouse when all crop has been picked do you get rid of all of the tomato or do you keep the remaining plant perhaps cutting back for the following year? I've also started fresh each time?

Start afresh each year-it is just not worth the effort to try and overwinter old plants -compost them.

19/10/2012 at 13:35

I agree with Geoff - start afresh each year

Pam LL x

11/04/2013 at 14:12
Hiya Drobbins, I have had some years of good success growing tomatoes in my greenhouse, but I do not use growbags. I use bucket type planters to give the roods good room to grow. it works for me.
13/06/2013 at 19:26
Which is the fruiting branch?? I'm scared to pinch out bits of plants in case it's the wrong bit!

My tomatoes are in smallish pots - how big a pot should I use?
13/06/2013 at 19:52
Newleaf wrote (see)
Which is the fruiting branch?? I'm scared to pinch out bits of plants in case it's the wrong bit!

My tomatoes are in smallish pots - how big a pot should I use?

How small is "smallish"?

As to "fruiting branches"-they are the ones that produce the flowers- along the stem

What variety are you growing?-then more advice can be offered

13/06/2013 at 20:01

Yep, varieties would help. Some produce flowers (hence fruit) on branches off the stem, some produce them on the stem itself. You can generally tell by the miniature growths that will eventually become flowers.

15/06/2013 at 18:31

Viva Tomatos

I am watching Monty's tomato experiment with great interest and can't wait to see the best growing  method. A little tip I learnt last year was to cut off the bottom of a small spring water plastic bottle and plant it upside down when you pot the tomato plants, this way the water reaches the roots quickly with no evaporation. I also apply my liquid feed this way.

04/07/2013 at 20:45
Hi i always grow shirley f1 and gardeners delight tomatoe plants and i always pinch out the side shoots on both plants with good results. But today i was told by a old timer not to pinch out the side shoots on the gardeners delight plant as it was a cherry tomatoe, is this true.
04/07/2013 at 21:07

hi robert lewis i pinch out on gardeners delight but i mjust admit am getting small toms at mo i thinkiing of leaving from now

04/07/2013 at 21:27

Pinching out side shoots applies to indeterminate varieties - aka cordon varieties, varieties that aren't bush varieties - in general. The type of fruit - cherry, beefsteak, whatever - doesn't matter. GD is an indeterminate variety so it's best to pinch out the side shoots.

Pinching out - or not pinching out - side shoots has no impact on the size of the fruit you get. Size is determined by genetics and, to an extent, growing conditions. The reason you pinch out side shoots is to control the size of the plant and the number of growing tips. Most side shoots will develop into a growing tip. The rule of thumb is that indeterminate toms do best with two growing tips.

18/07/2013 at 22:03
trying to grow beef tomatoes this year but the fruits are lumpy underside (like warts)and also going brown and soft. What am I doing wrong. do they require any special treatment.
27/07/2013 at 08:19
when do I cut off tops of tom plants in greenhouse as they getting very tall and spindly
24/08/2013 at 16:12
For 2 years now, the blossoms have dropped off my toms and cukes in the greenhouse. I keep the temp about 80 deg. I live at 7,600 altitude in Colorado.
email image
21 to 35 of 35 messages