London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
Fearture useless since it did not allow for aluminium greenhoses only wooden ones

grb 20/09/09
I have several 'Dianthus Pink' plant cuttings in my plastic upright cloche.

Can I insulate the cloche using the same method as for the green house, or will it still not be enough to protect my plant cuttings through the winter.

I normally bring them inside the house over winter, but I now have quite a few that would take up allot of space indoors.
Just a tip if you haven't got time to bubble wrap the entire greenhouse, get one of those mini plastic greenhouses, stick it inside the glass greenhouse, and use that for small plants.
I need instructions for insulating an aluminium greenhouse - how can I fasten the bubble wrap?
You can buy plastic clips from any good garden centre
to fix bubble wrap to a aluminium greenhouse,this will be the third year that I have used mine.
I used strong plastic clothes pegs to secure bubble wrap on my aluminium green house. Just push between glass and frame and secure plastic to it.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I was given a good tip when insulating greenhouses without the groove for the plastic clip. I have an old Alitex greenhouse which has an ordinary frame the bars of which are T shaped and so there is no groove. I was told to put the insulation up and clip it to the extruding piece of the frame with butterfly clips. Places like Lidl sell large boxes of them very cheap and it works well and is cheap.
I attached a length of battening (resting on the window bars at each end of the greenhouse) against either long side of the greenhouse and tie in. Push wrap down behind your bench to floor, up over the bar and over top of bench and you create an individual insulated area within your greenhouse, or adapt to suit. Easy and cheap to construct, lift up the front on a warm day. I keep the battons in place all year as I use them to attach strings to grow tomatoes.
Using "large bubble" for the first time.

The Alliclip Extensions do not twist through the expected 90 degrees and fall out quite easily when it comes to attaching the bubble and retaining Alliclip.

I've trimmed nearly 300 of these to allow them to twist correctly (in my opinion)

Be interesting to know of any one else has had the same problem.
The greenhouse is a powder coated Robinson.

The finished job looks great !!
Thanks for none of the help in my question.........................
I have a plastic greenhouse how do I insulate that please?
24/11/2011 at 15:30
Have just seen your comment, debeezdragon. I covered my little plastic greenhouse in horticultural fleece and bubblewrap - just held in place snugly by the outer plastic cover. This is the first year I have done this, so it remains to be seen how effective it is in protecting my plants
16/01/2012 at 17:41
Half an hour to do the job!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No way.It would've been useful to read what temperature improvement there would normally be.
03/02/2012 at 11:29
I was told that I could wet bubble wrap before fixing it to the greenhouse. I have tried this without a great deal of success. Can anyone tell me if they have tried this method and if they have had any success.
Lyn
08/02/2012 at 15:46

Dont know why one should wet the bubble wrap, I  bought a big cheap roll of B.W. packaging and a couple of packets of standard clips and corner clips and away we went -- perfect, its worked well through our severe frosts nothing has died.

31/03/2012 at 22:35
just aquired a greenhouse and it has bubble wrap insulation should i leave it on or do i need to take it off during the summer
31/03/2012 at 22:47
I have just acquired a greenhouse which is insulated with bubble wrap,do I leave it on or do I take it off for the summer.
31/08/2012 at 00:41
I agree; 30 minutes? Make that several hours if your green house is aluminium, as most are round our way, by the way. I suspect wooden greenhouses are an expensive luxury. Last year, I strung twister wire across the greenhouse and tented the bubble over it, then stuck shaped pieces either end with wide duct tape. Wasn't easy to get it to stick, and getting around the greenhouse shelf and door was very tricky. The bubble wrap (from a local garden centre) was quite expensive, and the method of fixing means that I am unlikely to be able to use it this year again. Not sure it was worth it, to be honest. Lost several nice plants which I would normally have kept indoors, had I not insulated the greenhouse, though it was an unusually cold winter. Did manage to overwinter a few herbs, but for the price of the bubble wrap, not to mention the time it took, I could have bought new herb plants this year instead
31/08/2012 at 08:04

i did mine last year with bubble wrap..bought a big roll on line very cheap.. and cut it to the right lengths.. i held it in place with shading twist clips.. as used for aluminium greenhouses.. which mine is.. was easy to do.. didnt take long.. thou i only did half mine as large.. just sat all plants on one side... with window... and covered it and then made lift up door panels from teh top ridge down to teh floor weighted down.. it kept it very cosy.. and if it had been damp or bit too warm.. i could just lift up few door panels to get air round..

will be doing it again this year..

31/08/2012 at 10:28
I used to bubble wrap insulate the gh, but found it got quite damp with condensation. The last couple of winters I haven't bothered, but put fleece over stuff if it looks as though it's going to be really arctic. Mind you, bloke very kindly electrified one of my greenhouses so I also have the luxury of a heater which is meant to keep it frost free. Interested in idea of sectioning off a small area though.
1 to 20 of 35 messages