London (change)
Today 13°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 4°C
7 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
I always grow day Lilies in pots but I must divide them as they are conjested now, think I will do that tomorrow now that I have been reminded. thank you Chris
21/08/2013 at 21:02
I have the time to dig up my daylilies and divide them. I may not have the time in the spring when my work picks up. I plan to trade some of my clumps with a friend that does her dividing in the spring. Will my daylily clumps survive in an unheated garage over the winter until I am ready to replant them? I am in zone 5.
21/08/2013 at 23:47

Huya jack,  well, at least get your day lilies in the ground if you can.  They should survive well enough too in the garage.  They are tough beasts

13/11/2014 at 14:49

Thanks, Verdun. I pestered my friend over and over and she finally got hers dug up and split. So now I have all replanted in the ground and covered with mulch. I used the time waiting on her to really work the bed where all the lilies were going to reside, adding coffee grounds, a minable amount of Miracle Grow for bulbs and some crushed clay pots (don't throw you cracked/broken pots away) and ran the tiller through the area 5-6 times, adding some new topsoil each pass. My lilies were beautiful, about 40 different varieties purchased from a nearby registered lily breeder, and I hope they are as nice next year. Since this is the first time I have split and replanted these Lilies, I do not know if they bloom the first year after the replant.

I also need to split my pond lilies before the water freezes

13/11/2014 at 14:59

Jack, as long as the day lilies pieces are of reasonable size they should flower well next year.  

i would delay on the water lilies though.   Split these in spring

13/11/2014 at 17:50

I've found Day Lillies benefit from splitting up every 3 years or so.......best guide is when the flowering drops off.

Depends where you are sited for the Water Lillies.  You may just get away with it now provided you can still see where to split.  If you are unsure, then as Verdun suggests, best wait til Spring when you can see the new growth.

16/11/2014 at 21:01

Thanks for all the advice on dividing my lilies. I did have to remove my pond lilies now though instead of waiting for spring. I did plan to wait until spring a couple years ago, but the ice around the lilies must have had some bad effect on them, as they all failed to survive. I now remove the pond lilies when the pond starts to ice over, cut off the tiny roots that have forced their way out of the plastic pots I put them in and put the whole thing in a 5 gallon bucket with some of the pond's water in it and set them in the insulated side of my garage. In the spring, I will split and repot the lilies, maybe sell some to a pond shop or give some to friends. I like to trade or barter my extras or pad my account with the pond store.

email image
7 messages