Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to lift and divide hemerocallis

I have planted my hemerocallis about a foot apart. That doesn't seem to have been done in the photographs.

Does that not cause another digging session too soon?

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

I find these have very deep roots, so quite difficult to move as some roots get left behind and start growing again.

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

OK Verdun. It might be the clump I was trying to split was very old, over 10 years, and a very large, vigorous plant. I don't know the variety, v tall with orange flowers. Fleshy tap roots went down at least a foot!

• It depends on the variety, Ellen. Some are larger than others, so you will just need to watch and wait. As Verdun says, they are easy to move and virtually indestructible.

• Hi Verdun,

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your question.

I have planted 3 of the 'Ed Murray' variety.

The have filled out quite nicely, but not too crowded yet. image

• Thank you, Verdun! 

I thought so too, when I saw them advertised as "easy care" by our national plant organisation. Scoured the internet to find them and found 1 year old plants, which have grown to the size you see in 2 years' time. 

I think they like my soil's fertility, although it is a wee bit on the dry side for them.

Don't mind watering them every now and then, though. They are worth it! image

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

OH dug mine out the other day, he broke the fork handle then resorted to a pick axe and an iron bar,  very deep rooted, I have read that they like to be lifted and separated (no comments about a bra) image every four or so years or they stop flowering.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,049

They do indeed benefit from regular lifting and dividing and you should have plenty of spares either to bulk up your stock or swap with friends or sell at a car boot or maybe a charity sale.  

I love them and have them in dry spots, damp spots, sunny spots and shady spots.  They all seem to do well.

Need to watch out for slugs as they emerge in spring but are otherwise trouble free.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato