London (change)
Today 25°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
11 messages
26/09/2013 at 22:39
I have been told it's best to prune roses in January

It seems to do them no harm. Should I change to atum pruning?
27/09/2013 at 06:02

I think with new  rose plants, if they have finished flowering,then taking off some of the top growth in autumn will reduce wind rock in winter storms. However if you hard prune down now, you run the risk of fresh new growth being damaged by frosts.I would do the hard prune down in March, and give a feed at the same time. I treat buddlejas the same.

27/09/2013 at 06:59
I agree with fidget - cut down any tall growth in autumn ( by about a third) to stop wind rock, then prune properly in about March, avoiding very frosty periods. I then feed with potash in March and mulch with manure, then feed with rose food end April and again in June.
27/09/2013 at 08:43

Same here DahliaSlave, March plus an organic feed and mulch.

27/09/2013 at 11:54

Books say now or march-early april depending on weather. I usually do mine around march time and they always look ok  

27/09/2013 at 13:55

Apart from shortening long stems to prevent wind rock in autumn and winter gales, mine get done in March or early April depending on what kind of winter we've had.  That means I can prune off any wood killed by hard frosts and see where the new shoots are coming from and prune back to those to keep the shrubs open and airy which helps prevent disease such as mildew later on in the season.

28/09/2013 at 11:43

Do climbing roses have to be treated differently to bush roses? We have one that is now too tall and will be massively high next year if it doesn't get pruned. Any advice please? Thank you.

28/09/2013 at 11:46

There is indeed a difference.   Have look at this from the RHS - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=189 

It also covers other kinds of roses and their pruning regime.

28/09/2013 at 11:59

Thank you for your speedy reply obelixx. The article is just what I needed to see, very clear and informative. Also, having looked at that I now know for sure that it is a climber and not a rambler as I was beginning to wonder because of the size it's got to. It's still flowering and has had masses of flowers throughout the summer. Not bad for north(ish) facing in the far north of Scotland!

Many thanks , it's appreciated.

28/09/2013 at 13:50

Glad to be of help.  Do you know what variety it is?  Roses that are good for northern apsects are not that common.

03/10/2013 at 15:35

This is a photo of it Obelixx. Can't get into the shed at the moment to find the ticket but will let you know when I can.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32066.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

email image
11 messages