Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to make a bee hotel

Last year I made a hedgehog house, dont knpow yet whether I had one take up residence as I havent looked yet

• We saw bees using a small hole under a waterfall construction in the garden, last year and could hear noise of the activity under there,(bees buzzing ) but as a bee tried to enter this spring it was prevented by a large spider, Does this mean that this location will not be used by the bees again or will they try to gain access from another hole, I hope so because we would love to have them back. I found your blog very interesting and I will use some of your tips to try and get them to return.
  • very interesting ill try it
  • It's ok if you like bees!!!
  • Try a winebox and fennel and elder stems for a more extensive hotel...
  • I've built two beehotels. First too loosely stuffes, later I learned to pack the stens very dense. Nevertheless, both have been damaged by birds. The stems are lying around. We do see bee activity, but not a lot.
  • These are great! I already own one that I bought online from a seller in Edinburgh on a craft site, and had great success with it. I don't think I'm allowed to say what site though...
    But anyway, now I can make one of my own!
    Thanks for the instructions.
  • PeteJPeteJ Posts: 1
    What is the best way to get bumble bees to nest in my compost heap.
  • You can also buy a box of live bumblebees for the home garden now called a Beepol box.
  • weeddrweeddr Posts: 1
    To suggest using Japanese knotweed for bee hotels is very risky and ill advised. Cutting knotweed canes in the summer while they're still growing is likely to lead to new infestations, if the canes are not handled carefully and are not allowed to become completely dry. Knotweed can be spread from a piece the size of a little finger nail. So PLEASE DON'T try this at home. Furthermore, I would say knotweed canes, when dead in the winter, are far too brittle to be useful. Far better to find a patch of invasive bamboo that someone has planted as a screen, and harvest that. Please Gardeners' World, think, before offering such irresponsible advice.
  • Don't forget to parasite manage the tunnels at the end of the season otherwise you'll create a bee cemetery within two seasons.

You'll get more info from other mason bee keepers who conserve and encourage these bees with the 'campaign for solitary bees' group.