London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
21 to 29 of 29 messages
23/01/2014 at 07:59

Hello, I only have a few comfrey plants I would like to make an organic feed for my tomato plants and wondered could I mix comfrey plants and nettle leaves to achieve this, thank you

23/01/2014 at 18:47

Hi Anthony, yes.  The more nettles you use, the higher the nitrogen content will be though so not quite so good for fruit but better for leafy things like brassicas.

25/03/2014 at 15:54
I made a short video about this on youtube, then saw this on here, spooky :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQyJuUPXMo
25/03/2014 at 15:56
I made a short video about this on youtube, then saw this on here, spooky :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQyJuUPXMo

Personally i prefer to add the comfrey to water straight away, then there is less smell.
25/03/2014 at 15:57

Sorry first time on here and did not realise my comment would appear at the bottom of the page

Apologies 

23/04/2014 at 22:25

Hi, someone was very to give me few milk container of comfrey water. But not sure where or which plant I can or cannot use. I have tomatoes in a grow bags, and indian broad beans n okra growing in A pot, later to be planted on a very small raised bed.

i have also planted few dahlias in the border with roses. I am very new to gardening and welcome all advise.

thank you

Edd
23/04/2014 at 22:45

Hi preksha patel.

Not sure what you want to feed with your bottled (feed) But i recomens dilution.

Avoid your tomatoes until you have your first truss of toms showing through. dilute the rest at 20-1 and use often but only when the soil/compost looks dry. Over watering and feed will be fatal to your plants. A little when needed will be good for all plants especially in the raised beds as they will drain and get dry quicker.

If your soil is good then you will not need liquid feed to often. Sort the soil out first and the liquid will only give the plants a boost.

Regards.

Edd.

23/04/2014 at 23:07

The previous allotment owner planted comfrey across the back of my plot and after slowly reaching that area to try to get it organised, I can ascertain that it certainly does come up everywhere. I have planted some in a pot for use as a fantastic accelerator in the compost heap and for fertiliser but in order to exterminate the rest I am going to have to resort to repeated attacks with weedkiller. This year I really had been looking forward to planting out raspberries in autumn there but I shall probably have to postpone that idea until I am certain the comfrey battle has been won. I don't want to be digging around the rasp roots to get it out and thus cause suckering.

Oh what fun!

13/06/2014 at 13:27
How often should you use the diluted comfrey feed on pots and the vegetable garden?
email image
21 to 29 of 29 messages