Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to make a composting trench

Is this sufficient time for the material to rot down sufficiently to enable planting on top in May/June?

• jo4eyesjo4eyes Posts: 2,058

Yes, is the short answer.

Some years, eg last, I couldnt start my 'bean trench' for this yrs' crop until the next Spring. Ok, not all the vegetable waste that I'd used had completely rotted down, but by the time I dismantled the wigwam in late summer- very bad yr for growing for me- no sign of the trench filling remained & the soil was in good condition.

I now try & adopt the trench policy to improve any new bed that I start, which is usually from removing more of the lawn! J.

• I do this each year, even in my small veg patch. Used to do it for my long bean trench in my previous garden. Great feeling of satisfaction as it all goes and nourishes the soil.
  • I use Bokashi for my kitchen waste. Can I use the contents of my filled bin in the composting trench?
  • sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802
    Hammy2 wrote (see)
    I use Bokashi for my kitchen waste. Can I use the contents of my filled bin in the composting trench?

Had to look to see what a Bokashi is-it seems to transform all waste including cooked food scraps into compost

Providing it has done that than yes-I would be wary about throwing uncomposted food waste into an open trench-rats etc will love it.

• my husband does a trench each year in a different spot ,this not only helps to spread the compost to each part of the veg patch  but rotation prevents the spread of diseases.image

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

Hello gardener, composting trench is a very effective practice-the best to utilize kitchen food, leaves etc.for enrich the soil. Your wastes have half a year to rot. Then worms and microbes can populate the soil. Organic wastes are not compost. Only when they are rotting, the plant roots can split up the nutrients. In our region we have a very poor soil. Therefore, we apply a similar principle. We call it Bokashi. Because we have no seasons we can't wait until a usable compost is created.For the faster nutrient availability, we use EM, living microorganisms. The EMs ferment organic substances in approximately 1-2 weeks. Thus, you have a revaluated organic compost available throughout the year.I have friends in the UK, Australia and United States, which also use this method.Maybe for you also a consideration.For a little more information please look here:The Easy Bokashi . 

Best organic greatings, ThaiGer.

"To know what we know, and know what we do not know, that is understanding."(Confucius)

http://camping-in-thailand.com/ , http://www.farmersvoice.info/

• A couple of questions:

- If you put potato peelings in a trench like this won't they sprout?

- Can you grow other crops like lettuce or spring onions using this system or would it be too rich?

• Looking at the pic again I think they're probably parsnip peelings. (Eyesight is going image). Peas and sweet peas are a good idea. No point runner beans as nobody likes them except me!