Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to make a nettle feed

Great for my garden as i have a massive nettle bush at the back of my garden that keeps getting overgrown!

• I have just started to get into gardening and find these tips excellent. I also have a lot of nettles to get shut of.
  • Thank you very much. Look forward to making it tomorrow.
  • angie4angie4 Posts: 44
    Love the idea of putting weeds to good use! As nettle feed if full of nitrogen, will it encourage leaf growth at the expense of flowers? Can I use it to feed my parched and hungry lawn?
  • libteclibtec Posts: 1
    I'm sure you are aware but no mention of the rat tailed maggots after first seeing them. I thought you might like to say that they are actually the larva of the drone fly, commonly known as Hover Fly which are very good pollinators which we all really need to encourage.

Great article.

regards

libtec
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 392
    I have been using nettle feed for the last few weeks since seeing it on Gardeners World last year.

Two days after feeding brassicas I can see a difference in the plants. It has also made the tomatoes look really look good this although I have also been feeding them with Tomorite on a weekly basis
  • tom9760tom9760 Posts: 44
    i've been using this for years now and it is great but don't get any on you because it takes an age to get the smell out,brassica's and beets love this.
  • it works without smelling if you fill a lidded container with nettle or comfrey and don't add water

• DodgeeDodgee Posts: 1
    Does the nettle feed have a shelf life?
  • Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,657

Hi Dodgee, iv bottled it up and used it 12 /18 months later ,but i make it the dry way and get the juice without water in it so its much more powerful and needs diluting much more and its easier to save, and dont smell so much in the making.and dont need so much shelf space. good luck

• cathkevcathkev Posts: 1
    Hi, will it work if you put it in a large container/vessel, with water & cover it either with a lid or tarpaulin etc? Obviously still get a smell when taking lid off to use the mixture. Cheers image