Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to make compost

can I put crab apples in the compost?

• On one area of our garden we have had a film covering the earth and then bark on top of it, this has been down for about 5 years so the earth has been unfed and is what you might call very solid as people have walked also over the area - what is the best way to deal with this earth so that I can look forward to growing vegetables there soon? I cannot afford a great expense.
  • You can put crab apples in your compost but it would be better to let the birds eat them.

pamelaj the best thing to do to your garden is to dig the bits you are going to use so its not all hard work.And remove any weed roots.
  • You can put crab apples in your compost but it would be better to let the birds eat them.

pamelaj the best thing to do to your garden is to dig the bits you are going to use so its not all hard work.And remove any weed roots.And grow spuds and cabbage they will brake down the soil for you.
  • Digger45Digger45 Posts: 6
    great vid i just bought a large compost bin from the local tip for £3 the top lid opens and theres a small black opener at the bottom,sadly i'm disabled and can't leap about like the video is there any advice for these bins please.
  • What is the best place to put a compost bin sun/partial shade/shade?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Opinion is divided on this one - my thoughts are that if it's a fairly big compost bin then it doesn't matter too much - the heat will build up inside it due to the decomposition.  If you only have small bins they need all the help they can get and putting it in a sunny spot will help to heat it up and speed the rate of decompostion - however, remember to check that it's not drying out if it's in a sunny spot. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.