London (change)
Today 18°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
11 messages
02/01/2014 at 16:41
I want to plant a fruit tree on my allotment but, it is very open on top of a hill and prone to wind damage, is there any chance i could plant one? and keep it small, connie
02/01/2014 at 23:08

If you choose a dwarf root stock to keep the tree small, stake it properly to stop wind rock and allow the roots to form properly you should be ok.

My garden is subject to a wind tunnel effect( westerly winds) but I have a large bramley apple tree at the top of the garden, which produces amazing numbers of of apples each year. Your tree may lean in one direction over time, but they are amazingly robust. I'd leave the stakes in place for a good few years to allow a good root structure to form.

Once it gets about 4 inches in diameter ( a few years) it should withstand almost anything we get.

04/01/2014 at 22:38
can I plant a pear tree now to grow against a fence
23/01/2014 at 22:46
What is the correct way to plant a dwarf grafted fruit tree in a container?
27/01/2014 at 14:40

Hi , thanks for all replies, been helpful

13/02/2014 at 19:59
I would like to grow several varieties of fruit trees from bare root stock, unfortunately I do not have a plot ready to plant in. Is it possible to plant in a temporary area and perhaps next spring transplant to the permanent site, if this is possible would it disrupt the fruit production?
19/02/2014 at 11:08
Do you have to plant two conference pear trees to get fruit
19/02/2014 at 19:41

Hi lindawalker

Conference pears are semi self-fertile and will produce a crop without a pollination partner - however they will produce a better crop with a partner from the right group - it is not another Conference that they need, but one of these 

http://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/hedging-trees-fruit-questions/fruit-tree-growing-guides/pollination-pear-trees

If you're looking for a pollination partner for Conference - can I recommend Concorde - my favourite pear of all time and a good match for Conference.

19/02/2014 at 19:43

Planting two different varieties would be better.  A single tree will still provide fruit but a second tree of a different variety grown nearby will improve pollination and increase the crop of both.

19/02/2014 at 19:45

Dove, you keep beating me tonight!  I must buy a new keyboard - the symbols have worn off of this one and as I can't touch-type I have to keep editing!

20/02/2014 at 18:18

One thing not mentioned, but I believe it is a good idea to sprinkle fungus in the bottom of the hole in contact with the roots.

email image
11 messages