Where is the video!!!!
09/06/2012 at 13:30
Does anyone know how to grow a grape vine
09/06/2012 at 13:46
sallyannie wrote (see)
Where is the video!!!!

???the video is there

09/06/2012 at 16:37

Thanks for that, but it was not on the site when I looked earlier it was just blank.  Now it's planted all I need to know is how to care for a grape vine.

09/06/2012 at 17:18

Hi Sallyannie,

As you you have only just planted it, the most important thing is to let it develop good roots.  If you see any miniature bunches of grapes developing this year, pinch them off, so that all the energy of the vine goes into producing good roots and the main vine stem itself.  If you don't do this and let any grapes develop this year, it will weaken the young vine and it could take a few extra years for it to establish properly.  I would probably remove all fruit next year, too.  It is tempting to let grapes develop, but patience will be amply rewarded in the long run!

In the middle of Winter, long after all of the leaves have fallen off, you should prune off any sideshoots that develop each year to two buds (ie leave a short section of each sideshoot from the main stem with two buds on it.)  Never prune a grape vine in spring when it just starts regrowing, as the sap will leak from the cut for a very long time and harm the vine (they can actually 'bleed to death'.)

When it is three years old, you can let a few bunches of grapes develop.  When you see a bunch, you should snip off the end of the branch, leaving two or three leaves beyond the grapes before where you cut.  Don't let more than one bunch of grapes develop on each sideshoot or the grapes will not grow very large.

I have a very old vine that is more than 20 meters long and always treat it like this with excellent results - enough fruit to make my own wine!

11/06/2012 at 16:42

Hi Bob

Thank you very much for tha treally useful advice. I have planted my vine on a west facing fence what kind of protection shoud  I give it during the winter?

11/06/2012 at 18:28

Hi sallyannie,

Where are you located?  In the majority of the UK, grape vines are fully hardy so you don't have to worry about Winter protection.

16/06/2012 at 07:48

Hello, I have heard the video but cannot see it for some reason.  I also have a grapevine, it was given to me as a bare root because the previous owner could not grow it.  I just planted it in the border where I had space - planning to move it when I had more time.  I then forgot all about it and the spot where I planted it is under a large Bramley apple tree (an old one).  After some time I spotted different leaves on the apple tree and realized that the grape vine had grown up through the apple tree.  It produces bunches of small green seedless grapes. I have tasted them and they are sweet but do not develop fully.  I have done nothing to this grapevine and wonder whether it would produce better grapes if I did prune it or... is it too late to do anything about it now.  Some advice would be gratefully received.  Many thanks. 

19/06/2012 at 13:22

Hi Bob

Sorry not to have replied sooner, but been a bit busy. I am in the north west of England. The grapevine is growing well,nice new growth on it,  I bought it from the  market just as a grapevine and don't know what variety it is! I'm afraid I am not a very organised gardener- tend to buy plants I fancy and then work out what to do with them later, but it's all good fun

19/06/2012 at 18:58

Hi Sallyannie, We all do the same!  If you treat it as I suggested, there's a good chance it will eventually produce edible grapes.  It might be more of a decorative kind though, in which case you will still get to enjoy the leaves turning colour (usually to orange/red) in Autumn.  Once established, they can be very vigorous and you might have trouble keeping up with it!

19/06/2012 at 19:09

Hi Sterelitza, Sorry about the delay in replying.  For this year, once you see a bunch of grapes developing, count 3 leaves towards the growing tip and prune it there, just above the 3rd leaf, which will help the grapes to develop.  It will keep sprouting more shoots from the junction of each of the 3 remaining leaves and stem, which you can pinch out as soon as you see them.  The vine's energy will then go into the fruit instead of more leaves which it doesn't need.  Next Winter, follow the vine from the root and cut every sideshoot off, leaving a short bit of it with 2 buds.  What you are trying to achieve is one main vine, with lots of short side shoots.  Each of these will grow next year and will be capable of producing one bunch of grapes.  If it has already grown too high in the apple tree to prune, you could cut it back to a height you can reach, but only do that in mid-winter.

19/06/2012 at 22:15

Hi Bob, thanks for all that great advice.  I am going to print it out and follow the pruning carefully.  I shall let you know how things go this year with the grapes. Thanks again.

13/11/2013 at 15:50
how and when do I prune grapevine
13/11/2013 at 15:53

If you read the posts above you'll find the information you need 

31/01/2014 at 17:01
can't see anything- where is the video ??
31/01/2014 at 21:32

The video is there reverett, I just played it to check.  It needs your computer to have Adobe Flash Player installed so you could try installing or updating that.  This link is for Windows computers:

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

Apple iPads don't support Flash videos without installing a different web browser:

http://ipad.about.com/od/Productivity-Apps/tp/How-To-Play-Flash-On-The-iPad.htm

email image
16 messages