Start a new thread

1 to 11 of 11 replies

kaycurtis
Is the Kiwi any good in a clay soil if you add mulch to it to lighten the soil or in a pot in the green house.
kaycurtis
Is the Kiwi any good in a clay soil if you add mulch to it to lighten the soil or in a pot in the green house.
Kiwi vines are seriously vigorous, plant with caution - not for the faint hearted & not to be planted close to path or doorway as featured on GW ! On poor thin soil on chalk nr Salisbury Plain, not suffered from snow & frosts ! VINE grow 10 ft in a season. 5 grown from seeds 2 removed as they are trifids. I cut huge amounts out twice a year. The female plants have had 50 kiwis in a year. At Stourton Gdns by Stourhead, kiwis grow over cartwheels on 10 ft poles, giant umbrellas of foliage.
do kiwi have to be kept in green house over winter just bought one earlier in the year not sure how to manage it

Advertisement

are all kiwis climbers and require something to grow up against?
Emma Crawforth

Hello kiwi growers,

Although the plants will survive outside in the winter, for a good crop it is ideal to grow kiwis in a large greenhouse. However, you could be lucky with a crop grown outside. You would not usually grow them in a pot, so bringing them in for winter wouldn't be an option - it's either inside or outside all the time! Yes they are climbers, you'll need to make a framework for them to climb.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team.

gy020298
anybody know any good peach tree varieties? thanks!
gy020298
anybody know any good peach tree varieties or any websites that show info on how to plant them?
Pottie Pam

I agree with DianaR. Mine is growing against a stone shed and towers above it and have to keep cutting big shoots off. It was supposed to be self-fertile and has lots of flowers but never any fruit. Does anyone know how to tell if it's male or female. The flowers are about the same size as a wild dog rose.

My kiwi plant has flowered the past 4 years but all the blossom falls off.  It was supposed to be self fertile. What can I do and what am I doing wrong