London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 19°C
15 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:27
I love all Lilies but I love the tiny flowers of Tiger Lilies they are so sweet and delicate. didn't realise they would be so small when I purchased them, but pleasantly surprised.
24/11/2011 at 15:27
I planted some Lillies in a big tub in March, does anyone know how long they take to appear please?
24/11/2011 at 15:28
once the lillies have flowered and been dead headed do they flower again ,or should i take the bulbs out and save for planting next year.
Once the lilly bulbs have flowered and the foliage is diminishing is it best to remove the bulbs or leave them in the pot until spring??
Should they be allowed to dry out completely during the winter once removed from the pot?? If left in the pot should they be fed and watered during the autumn months?
Very little aftercare information in this article.
This is why I stopped buying Gardeners World. Lots of lovely pictures and how and where to plant and then nothing about aftercare, overwintering etc.
Judging by the above comments, these are just the points which beginner gardeners need to know.
I've grown lilies in big baskets and they look fabulous and the blooms last. Also, if you grow lilies in containers you're less likely to have the beetles because you're using fresh soil.
helo, i am from romania and i love this bbc gardenig magazine also i do love gardenig even if i have only a little balcony.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I grow three types of lilies in containers here in Australia and they have been flowering for 3-5 yrs. The longiflorum are looking great for Christmas.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I lift my lillies and store them dry till spring then replant them sometimes get little bulbils or offsets which I plant in small pots and then gradually pot up. I think Carol Klein had some info on this in her latest gardening programme.
29/04/2012 at 18:30
Can I still plant Lilly's in may and get them to flower this season
07/02/2014 at 13:32
some suggestions as to compost would be helpful. I understand some need ericaceous compost - also some benefit fro JI
06/03/2014 at 21:19
Is it OK to plant Turks Cap Lilies into their permanent place in a border this early in the year? i.e. March.
06/03/2014 at 23:08

I am a member of the RHS Lily Group.  Not that that means much. A couple of years ago, perhaps more....whose counting?  I lashed out.  At the end of the day, I had spent around one hundred and eighty pounds on lily bulbs.. I had a fine show.  Then disaster.  I lost the complete collection albiet but a couple.  No. Not that blighter the red devil, Lily Beetle.  No.  Mr slug.  Tiny slugs had entered the pots via the drainage holes.  I now use a piece of perforated zinc to cover the holes.  Even so. somee little 'Buggers get through.  So I find a frequent change of compost is good.  Our friend the author of tis thread I feel was asking how to plant. Firstly good drainage, Secondly.  Depending upon the types. Some liliums prefer alkaline compost.  Some acid.  then some will try and perform in basically any compost.  So check out, what your new baby prefers.  Then of course good drainage is of paramount impotance.  Sadly so many bulbs rot away in overwatered pots..  Then select you lilies.  Martagons in particular will rot in the dormant stage.  So be careful.  Might I advertise here.  hwhyde.co.uk  will give you fuller details.   Bulb planting basics usually suggest plantin the bulb twice it's depth.  For many liliums, especially the much larger bulbs.  Plant them at six inches.

Hope this helps.

23/04/2014 at 10:26
when is the best time to plant skyscraoer lilles the best place to plant them in the garden how to plant them and can you plant them in large tubs
27/06/2014 at 15:42

why are my carefully planted llillies coming up blind help!!

email image
15 messages