Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to plant out runner beans

Does anybody know how big the runner beans get before you pick them? I have no idea and they are starting to grow already! I dont want to pick them too early and not too late!

• Hi
    Thank you for the information on growing beans. I found it very useful.

Siorapwil
  • Hi there. I have scarlet runner beans growing this year and it is first time with this variety. Can anyone tell me how many days it normally takes from flower to pod harvest. I've googled and read all my magazines without any luck.
  • Its nice to refresh myself with your tips on runner beans. This year Im sowing them around my dads garden as he has a 20ft metal pipe frame which always gives us a great crop.
  • Should you include runner beans in your crop rotation? I was told years ago that you leave them in the same place each year but dig a trench and fill it with compostable materials. Any ideas?
  • HI, I have seen runner beans already growing in pots at a local diy centre, Is it wise to buy and plant them in early April?
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

I have bean...sorry been told that its a good idea to put cardboard and / or newspapers into a trench before you plant beans and leeks.

DO I TEAR UP THE CARDBOARD AND PAPER OR JUST LAY IT IN ?

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Hannah_Banana_

Runner beans grow tall, about 6 feet or so!  They need plenty of water, so out with the watering can a lot! make sure you put up a frame if you are growing them up a fence, my father put a fillet of wood going across the top and nails at 4 inch intervals and do the same at the bottom.  Then tie strings from top to bottom, runner beans need a sturdy frame to support them.  Train your plants to grow right to left and keep watering them.  Runner bean plants will flower before they are ready for picking, some have red, some white.  The beans will be ready for picking in the Summer, don't let them grow too big or they will be tough, they are ready for picking when they are between 6 and 8 inches long, before you can see the bean from the outside.  You can also grow runner beans in a large tub, just put canes in and make it like a wigwam!  I rather like the strain called ''White Lady''

Keep picking the beans and you will get more.  Happy eating!  image

• TaskerTasker Posts: 29

Made the mistake of letting my grow too big last year, yuck! will be picking shorter and more often this year.

• suzzyqsuzzyq Posts: 1
    how many plants to 1 cane would you suggest .
  • lizzalizza Posts: 1

I think I have made the mistake of planting my runner bean 'seeds' to early - they have been indoors and were growing up the kitchen wall already - so today I have planted them outside - I just hope its not too early and cold and they perish.