London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
18 messages
13/12/2013 at 11:34
This Autumn I bought a greenhouse. I have tried to insulate it with bubble wrap but can't find a way to keep it on for more than a day. HELP!!
V
val b
13/12/2013 at 12:05

If it's an aluminium greenhouse you can buy special clips that slot into the framework through the bubble wrap and hold it up.  If it's wooden then you can staple or pin it it to the frame.

13/12/2013 at 12:52

I find it easier to just insulate the plants rather than the greenhouse, although in my case I only have my container lilies and fuchsias to protect.

Stand the pots together then wrap bubble wrap and/or fleece around the whole lot.

I am hoping that the perennials that I have grown from seed this year will be OK just sitting on the greenhouse bench until I plant them out in Spring.

13/12/2013 at 14:00

Wrapping plants with bubble wrap reduces ventilation and encourages rotting.  better to insulate the pots with bubble warp and the plants with fleece which breathes.

13/12/2013 at 14:30
I suggest you super glue (or screw to wooden greenhouse) the square electric trunking to greenhouse side on. Then push bubble wrap in to the trunking. You can remove bubble wrap and leave the trunking in place.

Tip: get trunking slightly smaller than wrap that way it is a tighter fit, unless you double up bubble wrap.
13/12/2013 at 20:47

I just ducktaped the bubblewrap together to make a solid covering over my greenhouse. If you get a decent seal then it usually stays tight. Ground pegs hold it all to the ground. It put up with the high wind we had recently just fine.

13/12/2013 at 23:26

Val, just checking that you are fixing it to the inside, yes?   If an aluminium greenhouse, use these clips to hold the bubble-warp to the slots in the frame:

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/super-alliplugs-pid7615.html

you just push them through the bubble-wrap and twist to lock into the slots in the aluminium frame.

14/12/2013 at 16:37
obelixx wrote (see)

Wrapping plants with bubble wrap reduces ventilation and encourages rotting.  better to insulate the pots with bubble warp and the plants with fleece which breathes.

Thanks for this useful info' Obelixx. I have never been sure about how much of the pot and the plant needs insulating (roots/foliage or both).

I will re-arrange my bubble wrap and fleece as you suggest.

14/12/2013 at 20:42

I also say not to wrap pots and never wrap any part of a plant as that is a one way ticket to rot. I pin bubble wrap to the wooden surround in my GH with tacks. It helps stop any condensation from dripping on the plants as it tends to build up behind the bubblewrap.

15/12/2013 at 17:11

Thanks for all the info on insulating a green house, must do it next year.

16/01/2014 at 19:34
I followed other gardeners advice and insulated my greenhouse with bubble rap it was easy as I have a Cedar Framed GH so using drawing pins to hold in place was quite easy to do.
16/01/2014 at 19:41

carpet spray and some duck tape should stick it

19/01/2014 at 13:08

Does anyone know if those greenhouse clips work on the little greenhouses?  I've got a lean to style greenhouse (its about 1m wide by 0.5m deep I think), aluminium frame with polycarbonate panels.  I can't see how the clips would be fitted.

Thus far I've always used some form of tape to try to hold it up.  This year it really hasn't worked though.

19/01/2014 at 13:37

Hi SamJP, those clips only work on standard greenhouses which have a slot in the aluminium frame sections.  The slots are there to accommodate the heads of small bolts which hold the frame together and aren't present on mini-greenhouses.  For those I'd try tie-wraps like these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_tie

You can tighten one around a frame tube and push the 'spare' end of the tie through the bubble wrap, then slide the ratchet end of another tie over the end you pushed through the bubble wrap to hold it in place.  You can even get releasable ties so they can be re-used - normal ones would need cutting off when you remove the bubble wrap.

25/01/2014 at 11:11

Thanks Bob.  Unfortunately there's no way of using cable ties on mine. This is my greenhouse:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/36532.jpg?width=481&height=350&mode=max

Doesn't sound like the clips would work, I don't think the bolt holes in the frame would be anywhere near big enough.  I'll have a look though. 

Any other ideas for hanging bubble wrap would be greatly appreciated, its proving to be a complete pain.  The only bits that stay up are the bits wrapped around the shelf supports lol.  Thought I'd got it cracked last year but alas it fell off.  The piece I use on the roof (inside) is the worst to hang.  It wouldn't even stop up for 5 minutes this time round.  Last year I think I managed a week.

27/01/2014 at 21:32
Hmm there's an idea. Might try it. thanks.

It's not too cold at the moment. Lows of 1 or 2c most days. We do have the odd -3 but not often. Biggest issue at the moment is high wind and rain.
31/01/2014 at 15:22

If you are only overwintering dormant or semi dormant plants, extruded polystyrene panels can be useful for wooden greenhouses and cold frames. 

For plants still in growth and hence needing more light, panels around the side walls and a covering of fleece over the top which you can remove during daylight hours.

31/01/2014 at 15:32

I use carefully positioned bamboo canes to make sort of a tent of bubble wrap inside my greenhouse.

I cut one down slightly and found it fit perfectly into the pointy bit of the roof and then I just hang the bubble over it in strips until the whole thing is covered. Then a couple more to wedge into the frame at the bottom of the roof and it works pretty well for me.

email image
18 messages