London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
7 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
Should I do this even if my shrub is young?
As all the stems seem green It flowered profusely this year and I don't want to do the wrong thing for next year.
24/11/2011 at 15:28
This is the first time I have actually understood which stems I have to cut out - the WOODY ones! Previously, once the flowers had faded and disappeared, I didn't have a clue which ones I had to prune as there were no longer any flowers to guide me. Thanks.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
i have a very over grown 'woody' Mexican orange blossom in my new inherited garden.. it really needs cutting back as it is starting to block my front door!! can i cut right back to bare wood? as it is only the outer part which is green as it has been very neglected!
24/11/2011 at 15:29
What's the best way to prune an overgrown, neglected quince bush?
It is quite old, I think, but flowered beautifully these last few weeks.
Just moved into this garden and would love to give it a fresh start.
22/02/2013 at 14:14

What season do i prune quince ? not pruned one before dont want to make a complete mess of it . Thanks

22/02/2013 at 14:24

Immediately after flowering this spring and up to mid July.    You can cut out obviously dead or damaged stems any time when they're not frozen but leave the healthy branches till after flowering and then thin out stem or cut back to shape according toy your needs.

Don't leave it too late as the new growth needs time to harden off before the frosts. 

22/02/2013 at 16:19
Catkins110, yes you can cut choisya.....your Mexican orange blossom.....hard back into old wood. Not yet though, wait til it warms up a little....say march to April. New growth readily comes from such pruning but give it good feed after. Spring flowering shrubs should be pruned as soon as flowering is over removing all flowered shoots. It's good too, usually, to remove the occasional old wood to ground level
email image
7 messages