London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
3 messages
13/09/2013 at 09:25
Hello, I have planted my first raspberry bush and it has grown very well. From a £2 8 inch twig to nearly 6 feet already in about 5 months! My question - no fruit this year so do I prune in this manner or leave until next year? Thanks, Luke.
13/09/2013 at 10:24

Hello Luke. If you are sure that yor raspberries are summer fruiting varieties then this is what to expect. For the first couple of years the plants will be rather weak and you may get verylittle fruit as they are still just growing and forming roots and stems and don't feel the need to flower.

In the first two years or so all you need to do is let them grow and just cut off the very weakest shoots down to the ground in order to encourage the strong ones. Do this in the early sunmer  You should be aiming to produce about 8 or 10 canes from each plant. At the end of each summer, cut the canes down to the ground.

In the third year you should see your first proper crop of rasps. Let them fruit and then, when they have finished, cut them down to ground level. The following year, new canes will shoot up and flower that year and produce fruit that year. Repeat the cutting down each autumn.

Incidentally, make sure now that the plants a exactly where you want them as their roots are just about impossible to eradicate once they are established and you will have raspberies everywhere ypu move them to!

13/09/2013 at 12:20

If they are deffo summer fruiting….cut back fruited canes (those who have borne fruit during the current year) to ground level after harvesting; do not leave old stubs

Select the strongest young canes (those produced this year & are pale green in colour) around six to eight per plant, and tie them in 8-10cm (3-4in) apart along their wire supports. Remove any remaining young stems to ground level.

Autumn fruiting are simpler, just cut down to ground level in February….this is because they fruit on the current year’s growth.

email image
3 messages