London (change)
Today 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
5 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:29
We have a mushroom-type fungus growing in our raised potato bed. Obviously I know not to touch them but will the adjoining potatoes be alright to eat? Please advise with thanks
07/04/2012 at 16:26
*Quick Tip for Saving Tomato Seed*
Once the mould has been washed off, you should place the seeds in a glass jar with water in for five minutes; the seeds that float will not have enough nutrients to germinate and the seeds that sink will be good to packet. Ensure that they are completely dry before you do this though, as if they are all saturated to the core then even the bad seeds will sink.
10/08/2012 at 18:00
I've been saving tomato seed [non-F1] for years. Instead of any ritual just smear seeds on to a piece of tissue and leave to dry for a day or two. Write down the variety and put away till next year if too late for this. Tomato seeds are so tough that after throwing old fruit on the compost heap new plants will sometimes appear in late spring.
17/01/2013 at 22:04
This article reminded me of what my family members used to do years ago when we were all venturing to far flung points of the compass for our holidays!

We would gather, bring home and share (usually tomato) seeds from all over the place including Italian plum, interesting New Zealand and Israeli examples and huge Spanish chaps - I grew one fruit that weighed 1lb 5oz!
Lyn
18/01/2013 at 10:03

But do they come true from seeds you collect yourself?

email image
5 messages