Forum home Talkback
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Talkback: How to sow cyclamen seeds

I did not need to waste paper and ink by having to print all the pages! I tried to limit it to the 2 relevant pages, but failed. Can you modify what otherwise is a good and useful tool please?

• I very much agree with LesleyQ's commment re waste of paper and ink. I have just printed off 'How to....take lavender cuttings' which ran to three pages and could perfectly well have all been printed on one page. Apart from this grouse, the content and instructions are excellent.
  • I have a cyclamen plant that has finished flowering and now has what appears to be seed heads left from where the flowers where.Can anyone advise me how to harvest the seeds and when
  • i have just removed the seed head from my cyclamen, only one i,m afraid, but it held 18 seeds, can anyone tell me where to store these seeds and how? untill i am ready to plant in july-august?
  • I have gathered seed heads from a plant on my kitchen window sill ,can I use them and if so would I follow the above instructions? Thank you.Margaret
  • gardeningfanticgardeningfantic Posts: 1,019

i sowed seeds form teh neopolitan cyclamen.. i kept balls of seeds until dry and had burst in a paper bag.. i then sowed them in compost and left under a bush for shelter and kept them moist.. i now have 35 small ones.

i always think when sowing seeds that the best time is when the plant itself has finished its flowering and seeded itself.. as that is when they naturally seed.

• jean6jean6 Posts: 157
    when are cyclamen seeds planted..winter/summer/or spring
  • WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

gardeningfantic is right.  The plant knows when to sow seed.  When it is ripe and is shed naturally.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 4,307

Cyclament seed is best sown fresh for good results. Even the persicum types do better that way. They also do better if soaked in warm slightly soapy water. This removes the sugary coating from the seed, usually licked off by ants in the wild. Sow in ordinary compost and cover lightly with grit or Vermiculite. Keep at about 16c. and in the light and they usually germinate very quickly. Do not prick out the tiny corms too soon, let them get to about 1 cm. across before disturbing.

Seeds are ready when the pod goes papery and begins to split open. Be quick on outdoor ones, as the ants will soon have them.

So, what do  I do? I collect the C. hederifolium and C. coum seeds when they are ripe and sprinkle them on the gravel garden and leave them to it. Much the easiest way.

If you have dried seeds, then definitely soak overnight in warm water or they will never germinate. (Soak the seeds not yourself, unless you need to).