London (change)
Today 14°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
3 messages
12/10/2012 at 10:32
I would have thought that blanching soft fruit would make it go mushy and difficult to keep separate when freezing
12/10/2012 at 11:22

I never blanch soft fruit.  Blueberries, black and red currants just go in a plastic bag or tupperware and get frozen whole.  Raspberries and blackberries need to be laid out on trays and frozen flat and separately but can then be stored in bags or tupperwares.   Haven't yet tried freezing plums but I imagine the best method is to halve, stone and freeze on trays then transfer to bags for easier storage.

Strawberries do not freeze well so are best made into jam, puree/coulis or compote.

12/10/2012 at 17:36

No, don't blanch soft fruit, it's perfectly OK frozen as it comes. I have some shallow plastic boxes ( from takeaway meals, I think) and find they are perfect for raspberries and blackberries. Blackcurrants and gooseberries and chopped rhubarb I just bung in a freezer bag - I don't find they clump or stick together much.

Otherwise you can cook them (e.g. gooseberries, apples, rhubarb) and thaw when you want to use them in puddings or as fruit purees.

email image
3 messages