6 messages
25/07/2014 at 00:51
Interesting that you say these are for growing in pots. We were in Cornwall 2 weeks ago, and visited Eden Project and Heligan, and I was surprised to see these growing in beds, and thinking of doing. the same. I wonder if they remain out down there all year, or are taken in in winter
25/07/2014 at 07:13

Hi Ginny May, as far as I know they are not winter hardy.

As they are Succulents cut off the piece you want for a new plant and let it dry for a few days, then pot it up in gritty compost.

25/07/2014 at 08:19

I'm in Cornwall.  Yes I have grown aeoniums in the ground and kept there over winter. Sometimes it works sometimes not.  Often it's been a late spring frost that catches them. 

In nearby Perranporth in a garden overlooking the sea a mass plantImg of aeonium swarkskopf survived at least 3 years.

I keep one plant outside in a pot but always bring a plant or two indoors too.

It may be better to let cuttimgs dry out first but I never do.....they are taken and inserted immediately.  I reduce the height and take several cuttings from this reduction.  Spring through to late summer  

31/07/2014 at 08:46
hi,Ginny I put mine into a sunny bed in front of my shed every year, then lift and put in the conservatory in winter, they are fine in there and its not heated.
02/08/2014 at 20:26
I grew an aeonium from a cutting 2 years ago, it looks healthy and is now huge, size of a dinner plate, but has made no side shoots! Help?
02/08/2014 at 20:34

Jasmine......they usually branch naturally as they get older.  If you want it to bush out, take out the growing point and use as a cutting.  Depending where you are situated, it might be a better idea to overwinter your plant as normal and pinch out next year...June or July when it is warm enough for the parent to put on new growth and the optimum time to root your cutting.

email image
6 messages