London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
24/11/2011 at 15:28
I was thrilled to find the advice on taking a rose cutting as my daughter had recently asked me for a cutting of one of my gorgeous coloured fab smelling roses. I thought i knew how to take a cutting but i didn't know where you should take it from! Now i know and i shall be giving it a go next month (August)
I'll let you know how i get on.
I have been off work due to illness, so i have used my time by taking cuttings to see how green fingered i am!! and so for my cuttings are doing well !
I am going to have a go and will let you know how I get on. Having said that I have taken a Rose out of a bunch bought for my wife, just shoved it in the garden and to my amazement it is growing. Wow!!
Good if you intend to move house and have to leave 'old friends' behind.
We'd been looking to buy a "Buff Beauty" rose due to memories of a beloved dog, to take with us when we move, but couldn't find one.
I'd thought you couldn't take rose cuttings, due to the more robust root stock a modern rose needs to be grafted onto.
now I'm going out to take a few cuttings!!
This is great, I thought you always had to graft roses.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
I am so delighted with all the help and advice on looking after roses but please let me know what fungicide I should use as one of my beautiful
eight roses has lost all its leaves due to black spot The other roses also have the odd black spot on leaves but the best one has no leaves today due to black spot. I have used Multi Rose but it does not seem to work for me and I spray regularly. What do you suggest please.

Thanking you graciously for all your tips and hints.
reillymarie.
24/11/2011 at 15:29
i agree with buddy it is great to know this!
10/12/2011 at 13:35
when is the best time to take cuttings
10/12/2011 at 20:37

I saw a rose cutting I took and planted a number of years ago when I visited someone at some flats where I used to work. Looks great and it gave me a little glow of pleasure. When I'm pruning and end up with some pencil-thick healthy looking bits of stems, making them into cuttings is almost irresistable. I think everyone should give it a go. I'm sure there are old varieties which we might otherwise lose.

I have also had inadvertent success with cut roses in a vase, usually when I've cut the rose flower at a stem junction. I find the cut end sometimes forms a callus, and then roots. This is one benefit of being untidy and disorganised... I'm sure most people would have thrown the vase of roses out once the flowers had dropped.

22/03/2012 at 15:17

I also have taken many rose cuttings and now they are shooting well.When i come to planting them out,obviously there is no crown to plant to,do i plant them to the ground level they are in the pots please?

23/03/2012 at 01:11

To Ex Barnardo Boy, yes thats the best way, ive done the same thing in my garden and they all are growing well, especially a lovely red rambler, which my daughter wanted a cutting of, im wondering if theyre too large to move now though lol, so looks like ive got more than i needed unless she wants to dig for them.

17/04/2012 at 18:57
I found that when taking rose cuttings the conventional way ie a slit in the soil with a spade, sharp sand or grit in the bottom then insert cutting, never worked with me so last summer I began using the method above but using Perlite instead of grit. I took cuttings in July, November and again in February, keeping the compost moist, and have had a very high success rate, probably 90%. As you say they need a good year in the pot before potting up, plus a further year in their individual pots.
21/04/2012 at 19:53

I took rose cuttings about three years ago and they have grown but never flowered as yet.  Any ideas on what I can do to encourage my plants to flower this year?

22/04/2012 at 01:20
In answer to ReillyMarie question about black spot on roses,this problem requires hygiene ----pick up any fallen leaves- --these don't get put on compost heap----bin or burn. take any diseased leaves off the plant,and destroy these as well. it may seem drastic, but this disease is spread from plant to plant so wash hand,and any tool used. keep looking, and keep ground clean,as it stays in the ground for a long time.
30/04/2012 at 09:56
We live on the outskirts of Paris. We Will be moving in June to a terraced appartment and would very much like to take cuttings of our roses with us. Our roses date back to when house was built -1896. Is there something special we should take care with?

Also, if the new owners decide they don't want the roses, would it be possible to dig up the old roots and transfer them to another garden?

30/04/2012 at 11:00

Paul n,

I am interested in your July cuttings. Did you cover them or did you just leave them exposed. I have always had a fear that they would dry out. I even wondered about Monty taking cuttings in September. I did likewise and mosts stuck OK. the earlier I can take them the better, as it leaves more time for them to put out a few roots before winter.

On last week's GW the euphorbia expert said his top tip was NOT to cover euphorbia cuttings.

I am just wondering whether I have been over protective some of the time. Covering cuttings can cause its own problems with fungal infection.

02/05/2012 at 15:10
is it to late to take rose cuttings now as i'm moving house .
20/06/2012 at 08:51
hi what time of the year do i do rose cuttings please
24/06/2012 at 21:45
mum and i didn't think we could take cuttings from roses but will now try this, am going to take cuttings off 3 of my dads roses and try to grow them!
1 to 20 of 26 messages